Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Dokken

I could buy a CD like that.  I can listen to Dokken anytime and enjoy the music.  Seeing Dokken with the original band members could be fun except that Don Dokken would probably be up there looking like he has to be somewhere else.  That guy really ruined the last time I saw "Dokken" on stage. 

I’m surprised to see Lynch and Don doing anything together... there seemed to be a lot of bad blood between them for the longest time. It sounds good, and sounds like Dokken. I’ll buy it.

Are my eyes crossed, or is Pilson playing a 12ver?

That  band is very mercurial, I have seen Dokken on back-to-back nights when we opened for them, and one night George is having a sullen tantrum and phoning in his playing  (leaning against his amps like he was trying to hide, not doing his usual inner-verse enhanced noodling), the next night it was Don  being a passive/aggressive diva douche with the soundman and the fans.

Not having seen Dokken live but George a few times, thats my take as well. Seems like either one of them can be a diva at times and its probably worse when they are both together. When I saw George with Yngwie he was on fire and seemed his normal self moving about the stage and interacting with the crowd. When I last saw him with (Oni) Lynch mob 4-5 years back, his playing and tone were great but he played with his back towards the audience for a significant portion of the show.

Honestly Dokkens lawyer/ guitarist Jon Levin does George about about as good as anyone (Including George) and they have put out some good stuff. Who ever says that lawyers can't play hasn't heard Levin.

3 hours ago, jettster said:

Honestly Dokkens lawyer/ guitarist Jon Levin does George about about as good as anyone (Including George) and they have put out some good stuff. Who ever says that lawyers can't play hasn't heard Levin.

That's the interesting thing to me. I've kept up with Lynch and Dokken both throughout the 'bitter' years, and I love what both have done (although I lean towards the Mob a bit more.) I noticed that Don, who seemed to detest George, still always seemed to get players that could mimic the original sound/George's style. Obviously George mimics no one.

You are correct, Levin is a badass.

4 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Pilson is playing an 10 string, unsure of the manufacturer.

Don & George have been getting along since they made bank on that Return to the East tour in 2016, and patched thing$ up, apparently.

That  band is very mercurial, I have seen Dokken on back-to-back nights when we opened for them, and one night George is having a sullen tantrum and phoning in his playing  (leaning against his amps like he was trying to hide, not doing his usual inner-verse enhanced noodling), the next night it was Don  being a passive/aggressive diva douche with the soundman and the fans.

I think those guys have their  28 -day"cycles' in sync when they share the same bus.

They are both super friendly alone, just never ask  one about the other unless you want them to leave abruptly, lol.

Sharp eye Ed. I went back and found a clear, quick shot of the headstock and it is indeed a 10 string. Still can't make out the name, but definitely not Hamer.  

Shame about all the drama. Takes the fun out of anything.

I don’t dislike the song and George seems to be on fire, but that clip is hard to watch. :(

31 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Agree 100%, Ed. Evidence of life's unfairness is George needng Don to make serious bank. 

You might be interested in reading George's profile in the Dinosaur Rock Guitar site --it's not mobile-friendly, so make sure you have a computer or a tablet: http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/34

45 minutes ago, zorrow said:

You might be interested in reading George's profile in the Dinosaur Rock Guitar site --it's not mobile-friendly, so make sure you have a computer or a tablet: http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/34

I've read it. 

ETA: To clarify my earlier comment, George and Jeff have done well for themselves, but it stinks that those two were overwhelmingly responsible for writing the songs that Don, who owns "the band", has commoditized using hired hands on tour under the Dokken banner.

Perfectly legal, but still shitty of Don, as he's capitalized on the industry's shift in profit emanating from tours rather than song sales and royalties. Reminds me of Don Henley's and Glen Frey's death grip on "The Eagles" entity and playing myriad hit songs NOT written by either of them while insisting that Felder, Walsh, etc. take a salary on tours making hundreds of millions in revenue.

One too many KFC bargain buckets for Mr Dokken. A bunch of old men that should have hung up their hats long ago. Currently the only "old" band that can cut it is KISS, I say that not as a fan but rather that their lighting and live shows do the talking, their hip replacements don't. Rush did the decent thing and slipped away quietly in the Jan night, these guys should too.

I thank you.

7 hours ago, fasteddie said:

One too many KFC bargain buckets for Mr Dokken. A bunch of old men that should have hung up their hats long ago. Currently the only "old" band that can cut it is KISS, I say that not as a fan but rather that their lighting and live shows do the talking, their hip replacements don't. Rush did the decent thing and slipped away quietly in the Jan night, these guys should too.

I thank you.

Everyone gets older, that's just how it is.   Aging is OK, just trying to maintain an image from when you were 25 isn't.  So, Paul Stanley's vocals are OK as long as they have a good light show? 

I saw The Marshall Tucker Band twice over the weekend.  Doug Gray does not sing like he used to, but he has turned over the vocals on Take The Highway to keyboard/flute/sax player Marcus Henderson who can sing in that high register.  Doug also lets the band fill in with backing vocals when possible.  Then there is turning the microphone toward the audience to let them sing the chorus.  The audience shows up to hear the music and the last remaining original member.  That band keeps showing up because the audiences keep showing up. 

Don Dokken can still sing, even if he has a bad night, so the people who want to go to a Dokken show can be satisfied.  The requirement to sing like 30 years ago is not a requirement for current success. 

Regarding the new song, it's quite good. Like Haynie, I would be a buyer of an album in that vein. As for their schtick?....Don looks a bit haggard, but the other guys look good for their ages. I mean, George is eligible for Social Security payments at this point. I hope I look that badass when I reach that milestone. 

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

Everyone gets older, that's just how it is.   Aging is OK, just trying to maintain an image from when you were 25 isn't.  So, Paul Stanley's vocals are OK as long as they have a good light show? 

Well herein lies my argument. You are right, everyone gets older, but fans should not pay top dollar for tickets to see "has been" bands. KISS can usually cut it live but if a 65 year old Paul Stanley can't cut it anymore on the live stage he too should hand up his hat.

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Well herein lies my argument. You are right, everyone gets older, but fans should not pay top dollar for tickets to see "has been" bands. KISS can usually cut it live but if a 65 year old Paul Stanley can't cut it anymore on the live stage he too should hand up his hat.

Yeah, I hear you, but at the same time, I think we all lose some edge in our performance as we age, no matter what we do.  You may get better/wiser/more experienced, but as you age, you're just not going to perform how you did when younger.   But, if someone is going to pay me a lot of money to do that job when I'm older, why would I turn it down?  

8 hours ago, scottcald said:

Beat me to it.  Paul's vocals were the only thing keeping me interested in check out the band live. But man, that's over. That's heartbreaking.

Maybe Paul should switch with Tommy Thayer, seeing their personas are apparently just "in the role of" now.

22 hours ago, scottcald said:

My god.....that is atrocious. He's beyond the point where he should know better than to go on stage like that. I'm not really a KISS fan, only marginaly, and only wnet to one show in the 80s (Animalize tour @ MSG). I'd be furious if I spent money to see a performance like this.

Archived