Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1938/39 Taome Hawaiian Lapsteel acoustic

This is a super rare bird which I purchased from the original owner 6 years ago. There's essentially zero information on these on the internet but from what I have been able to dig up, these were made by Regal and in very low numbers as a specialty, premium off-brand model. I have no idea what the body and neck woods are but am certain it's got a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and a funky piece of it at that! Dyed Pear bridge with a thin brass saddle, just like the Regals.

The backstory: the old feller I bought it from played this instrument daily for years and years and it never left the house. Beyond the lovely natural playing wear on the back of the neck and top and some light scuffs and scratches as one would expect from an 80 year old instrument, the only 'flaw' i see is a 6" long mild crack on the back. According to him, the top started to separate in a couple of spot and he glued them back himself in the late 70s. I thought about gluing that crack on the back myself but since the guitar doesn't rattle or buzz because of it, I chose to simply leave it alone. If you want to work some wood glue into the crack, go for it but as is the instrument is stable and has a throaty, rich,  complex, and remarkable tone.

The only modifications I've made to it were to install a new set of Med. gauge bronze acoustic guitar strings. It's tuned to open E right now but the neck is solid and it will handle a heavier gauge tuned to open D just fine. Beyond that I've not cleaned, polished, or modded this guitar in any way. All original. This isn't one for touring with due to it's age and rarity, but for light gigging and session work you'd be hard-pressed to find a more authentic and beautiful sound. Aim a ribbon mic or condenser at it and make gold records.

The guitar comes with the original case. I'm sure some of the dust on it is as old as the guitar.

$400.00 + actual shipping/insurance costs to where ever you are in the USA. I will not ship overseas due to CITES. Sorry. If you have questions or would like to see higher resolution photos, please get in touch. Thank you!

Taome1.jpg

Taome2.jpg

Taome3.jpg

Taome4.jpg

Taome5.jpg

Taome6.jpg

Taome8.jpg

I'd keep it if I didn't have a bass amplifier in dire need of repair: transformer replacement, new caps, and a new quad set of 6L6s...it all adds up quick. This lapsteel is a real beauty in all respects and I would really like to 'keep it in the family' and sell it here on the HFC.

Archived