Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Everybody posts about their new guitars.....

I've had this YJM (Yngwie Blackmore model?) since the early 2000's. Biily @ rocknrollrelics.net refinned/relic'd it years back (was not a big fan of the Fender Banana Yellow...). This is my "1/2-step down" guitar:

IMG_0590.JPG

Machine bolt neck inserts.

Gotoh HAPM locking tuners.

Callaham bridge.

Dimarzio Injector neck, Area 58 middle, Injector bridge.

I just ordered some Hipshot Griplok tuners and plan on getting an SD Dave Murray (all black) loaded pickguard soon.

Are these YJMs having a scalloped fretboard?

Yep. The first generation (90’s) had shallow scallops, vintage frets, Dimarzio HS stacked singles and an American Standard trem. Second wave have deep scallops, Dunlop jumbos, vintage tailpiece and large headstock. The third genz have factory neck bolt inserts and Duncan YJM "Fury" singles.

Funny, tho...I'm not really a card-carrying Wingnut fanboi, but I like a LOT of the stuff he's produced. I dabble in that "dungeons and dragons""-style of shred (more of a Ulrich Roth/Blackmore kinda guy), but once I played a YJM Strat 20-yrs ago, I was hooked. That guitar taught me to relax my fretting hand, un-kink my shoulders and develop a decent vibrato. Malmsteen must have the lightest touch of all; he tunes down and plays .008's. Unreal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 10:33 AM, zorrow said:

There’s also this one, which is one of my first HFC deals. I think I got it from @peedenmark7, though I’m not 100% sure. It’s a Vector from 1981, with a quite atypical factory finish. For some reason I don’t tend to play it (its neck maybe is a bit too thin for my tastes?), but it’s a great one and my wife fell in love with it since day one. She always said an eventual son of ours would inherit it, so I could never move it. Then our kid was born, several years after getting this guitar. He’s seven now, and my wife is succeeding in manipulating him to love it —“this guitar is yours” and so on... The boy is finally fascinated with his guitar. Ah, women! :) 

F2BFF395-618B-4D90-8865-BAA5BAC76946.jpeg

'81 Namm show Vector ! Miss that one ! Is the red striping gone ?

5 minutes ago, peedenmark7 said:

Nope. It’s still there. 

I’ll take pics later.

My beater ... J068X   '85 Soloist Custom.

This guitar was one of only 2 Soloists that ever came into the famous Ralph Hanzel Music  in West Allis WI, this one with a kahler and J070X  Factory Floyd .

Loved the pink , loved the shred neck, but simply couldn't do the Kahler.

History goes, I had both hanging in my repair area for about a month when my boss came in and said it was time to make a decision as Princes band was in the store , and were wanting to see the Jacksons.  I decided on the Floyd, and the pink one was purchased on a bad check.  The guitar made its way to San Francisco and was pawned, where Nicholas Del Drago of the Alameda All Stars picked it up and had the Floyd installed, [ no nut mod thankfully]  .  I searched high and low for this guitar starting about 1995 on and finally found it a few years back.

The guitar had PJ Marx Brad Gillis Pickups in it,  [ a gift as the 2 are good friends] which I did not care for , so I shuffled them off to Brad.

Today she is as close to original as I am going to go with her.. Date correct Jackson pickups installed and the Floyd work is what it is, She's blocked and I use it as a hard-tail today.

She's seen better days> I thought about blocking / topping and refin, then thought why ruin a guitar that's been fixed :)

It's funny the things you remember about a guitar , Nicki freaked when I asked if the 4th fret was cracked on the high side and if the neck single coil mounting screw was dimpling the finish through the back of the guitar on the high side... We had a good laugh and conversation and we both  knew it was the guitar I was searching for.  Paid too much , but it left a mark on me as a kid.

A couple pics , including Brad playing it at some point.

MVC-211S.JPG

MVC-212S.JPG

IMG_2102.PNG

2 hours ago, peedenmark7 said:

My beater ... J068X   '85 Soloist Custom.

*snip*

I searched high and low for this guitar starting about 1995 on and finally found it a few years back.

That's so cool. I've run a bunch of WTB on my local Craigslist looking for my first "real" guitar, a '75 Strat that I sold in the 80's (which I probably wouldn't like playing since it has the narrow 70's nut-width), but I've not had any luck finding it.

My constant "old" guitar is my 2005 SG Classic. SG Classics aren't the most sought after SG in the Gibson catalog, but this one just has "it" and simply put, wont be sold unless I lose a hand. My Newport is probably a better fit for my cover band, but when I was looking for some money to furnish a studio upgrade, the Newport hit the block before the SG. My AVRI Jazzmaster has already met a similar fate.

Yes, it's that good.

0FCE4812-E506-4192-8DE6-8A59318E3083.jpeg

A guitar with a big, fat, neck that rings like a bell unplugged, Mojotone P90s and controls, Bigsby B3 and Towner bar so the tension can be set just so, and some late-60s style witch hat knobs all equal a guitar that puts a lot of way more expensive guitars to shame.

20 hours ago, zorrow said:
20 hours ago, peedenmark7 said:

Nope. It’s still there. 

I’ll take pics later.

There you go!

DF4DB860-2AA6-49C5-ACEF-B35502F87D1A.jpeg

05F632E2-AA7C-4100-9F82-5BD29EB8473A.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I love that guitar, always will... Just really cool !

Archived