Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jesus Christ Superstar

I thought the production was pretty well done.  The mix could have been better in parts, the vocals got buried under the orchestra sometimes.  The 2nd guitarist’s shell pink, Firebird-shaped Cabronita was really cool.

There's NO reason ever to accept a lip sync'd performance at the Grammys or AMA's or any music awards show or SNL ever again -- this was live and that band was playing live --- and they did it in a scripted time window with a cast of over 100 ------ new standard!

Really enjoyed it. John Legend did well as JC.
+1 on Sara Bareillles.
Whoever played Judas should get equal billing. He ruled!

And Coop was...   Coop. Basically a walk-on part but he owned it.

Everybody in that production earned their pay. Well done!

I liked how they kept a small backstage screen going through the commercials to at least let you feel kind of connected.

I liked the band setup in the scaffolding and even the whole stage layout. 

Legend was a little hard to hear at times. His voice didn't seem to carry and project like Judas did. 

I thought they did a great job with it!

That's a LOT of work to pull that off!

I didn't watch it, but did watch a few clips this morning. While I'll always prefer the original album and movie, I found it likeable. The music is so damn good and so easy to get lost in.

There's a local Louisville music community called Motherlodge. For several years, they have been touring the region with a JCS concert around Easter. Not a play, just a concert. What made it unique is that the players were scattered throughout the venue with the listeners so there wasn't a focal point. Hard to describe, but very cool. I was there the first year they did it in a small intimate venue and a couple of years later in a bigger hall. It worked great both times. They skipped this year, I think there are some growing pains threatening its continuation.

I thoroughly enjoyed the parts where the Caps beat the Penguins and clinched the Metro Division.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

I was bouncing between JCS and "The Bayou, D'C.'s Killer Joint" Documentary that was on WHUT/PBS last night.

Any of you D.C. area folk that ever experienced that club in it's rocking heyday should check this out... it's pretty thorough about one of the coolest laid-out clubs in the 70s/80s/90s.

I definitely will - my shoes definitely stuck to the floor in that place on several occasions!  Sad that one's not around, for sure.

Continuing in the off-topic topic, my office now is exactly one block up from the old 9:30 Club on F St, NW.  It's a J. Crew now with an Anthropologie next door...talk about negating any cool vibe that still remained in that place!

Archived