Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Do I need to add lead guitar or another guitar to this

Dasein

Hey guys -- definitely looking for opinions here on this song arrangement. I always assumed I'd add lead guitar to it, but as I get closer to finishing it I realize that even as it stands it's got some serious momentum going and is still pretty clean -- when I start adding lead or soloing it starts to get burdened by it.... As it stands is it "missing" lead guitar to your ears and sensibilities? (maybe I just have not found my way into it yet?) or would leads get in the way? It's a simple song about a simple idea of leaving one's hometown --- having trouble being objective here. Any opinions welcome on that idea - yes/no additional guitar or lead or solo...  Many thanks. (Rob).

13 minutes ago, mathman said:

I am thinking yes,  subtle lead fills.  Almost in the vein of a tom petty song if you get my meaning. 

Thanks Man - I do -- I'll do some listening and deep diving there to absorb the vibe... any specific recommendations worth a listen to?

I agree with mathman.  Also, I feel like the "out on her own" parts could use either a second guitar with a little more grit and/or some organ.  The songs that come to mind as far as Petty are Refugee Here Comes My Girl and Woman in Love.

On a casual listen, the source tracks are cleanly recorded.

The rhythm tracks could do a lot to make the whole package cohesive. The drum part could get cleaned up to be more consistent. The bass track to me, is too busy, mixed too loud and is too closely mirroring the guitar track. It would groove better to have the accents on One, Two, and the and of four holding through the next bar, in general, without repetitive fills. This will leave more space for other tracks.

As far as momentum, there are lots of stops. That kills the momentum for me, unless you choose a few specific spots to accent.

Once the drum and bass tracks are Edited to be lean and mean, a good organ track played by a good player, would help.

It will help to analyze the drum, bass and guitar parts of your favorite music, or whatever you’re wanting to emulate, and allowing that to inform your projects. Someone above mentioned Tom Petty, who I love, and is a great resource for arranging bass and drum tracks. You might find that simple groovy solutions “feel” best overall, and leave lots of space for simple signature parts.

Thanks for sharing and keep making cool stuff!

Geoff, that's one of the best critiques I've read, ever: a fair, honest and knowledgeable analysis from a respected musician. Well said. You should be on one of those 'Idol' shows.

I listened 4 or 5 times. For me, the track just kind of lays there - it's not bad, just not enough excitement or raw edge to really pull me in. And that could be just in the mix (Ie; the drums could use more 'pop'). Love the guitar sound. Bass is slightly dissonant in a couple spots and yeah, a little busy. The center section (at the 3:12 mark), where there should be room for a nice short guitar rip had the bass kinda stepping on it. Bass-playing guitarists will do that. B)

I'm hearing some tasty mellow Gretsch-y solo bits throughout the second half of the track, and a Hammond/slow Leslie thing laying low underneath it all.

Can't wait to hear the final product. Your stuff is always well done.

Rob, I admire your humility and moxie.....it takes guts to ask for help on a track like this. I post finished stuff here all the time, but when I need help, I have my go-to people, some on this board. Anyway good on you.

Great track! I love the vibe that the guitar and the groove project. The story is cool too.

The guys above have given good advice. The bass is a bit busy overall  but I love what it does at the 3:12 and following part....put a guitar solo in here....the bass line, which changes here will help set it up as something “special”...think Tom Hamilton’s new bassline under Joe Perry’s solo on the song Toys in the Attic.

Plenty of room for tasteful fills throughout the song be it a nice organ, a smoky sax, or your guitar. I also get the TP vibe on this tune, not so much on the vocals but definitely on the arrangement.

What effect is on the main guitar? Just curious....

GREAT JOB!

These are some great suggestions and great criticisms.... most of my stuff has been developing in a vacuum so it helps to get outside feedback for sure.  I'll definitely break this open per the suggestions and see what I can do to make it better.  For me I know I can't get better without criticism for sure so it really helps me. Sharing at the HFC has been important for me because I respect you guys and it was really all of you that inspired me and encouraged me to play again as well as to get into home recording.  Thanks again to everyone.

The Guitar is being played through a Roland JC amp with a tube compressor and Leslie/speaker cab rotator and some reverb (using Native Instruments GuitarRig 5 pro - which is getting long in the tooth now but is still delivering for me) I've got my boogie completely disassembled ready to go back to the factory for a 35 year check up/cap job etc  so no real amps for me for a while.

6 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I think acoustic rhythm would work. Not sure about a lead.  

That was my first instinct Ting -- I wrote this as a road song, and every time I started adding leads (when I first recorded this last year), it took away from that bitter sweet feeling you get with that lonely open road in front of you and put too much attention on the leads -- so I dropped them but then lost my objectivity. The issue wasn't the idea of leads or fills - most likely my orientation towards playing them -- so I'm going to try to get re-immersed in the original vibe of this track and see what materializes with everyone's input in mind.

This is why I love writing songs and hate trying to finish them.  There are endless possibilities and directions you can go.  You just have to decide what you are trying to convey and see if you can do it.

The leads I am thinking of are sustained notes and simple patterns, like some petty songs.  More background type fills.

Song sounds good.  Good luck. You have great rythyms.

Archived