Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How to get pickup wire through channel when there isn't enough room?

triodecr

Question

I'm installing pickups in a Standard and one is two conductor and the other is 4 - conductor.  I'm having trouble getting the 4 - conductor through the channel to the control cavity and I haven't run the 2 conductor yet. I'm guessing it's the friction between the sheathing on the 4-conductor and the switch multi-conductor.

What's the best way to get around this? Rub a bit of mineral oil on the 4-conductor?  Soap? :unsure:  Margarine? :blink:  Butter?  :o 

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

If I understand your issue correctly, you need a 12" long drill bit of a larger diameter. The current smaller diameter hole will work in your favor as a pilot. See if these photos shed conceptual light.

No automatic alt text available.

That ^^

17 hours ago, Jeff R said:

If I understand your issue correctly, you need a 12" long drill bit of a larger diameter. The current smaller diameter hole will work in your favor as a pilot. See if these photos shed conceptual light.

I was afraid that would be the case.  So maybe those other pickups weren't too bad... :lol:

It's scarier looking than it actually is. The existing hole is going to absolutely guide your bit ... all you have to do is apply gentle pressure and don't drag the spinning bit or the spinning bit housing on the drill against the guitar. That tape above was for added protection, a "just in case" measure.

Archived