Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Simple cure for GAS...

gtone

...Just learn 10 new songs this week (that or write 2-3 new ones).  That way, you'll be so engrossed in playing/practicing that you won't have time to covet and research new/different gear.  You'll be happier with your existing kit, save some cash and increase your repertoire at the same time.  Every time I've started with a new band, I've noticed that getting up to speed on new material makes me much happier and improves my chops in a marked way.  It's only when stagnation sets in that I take my eye off the ball and start to get gear lust.

If this message resonates with just a single person, it'll have accomplished something.

I play music in my shop via a small CD player hooked up to old hand-me-down TV surround sound tall column speakers. The place is a dust factory, I don't need or want anything nice for shop music. I got the bright idea just a few days ago to search "guitar backing tracks" on YouTube, convert several into mp3s and burn them on a disc as possible "accompaniment" for shop demos/test-drive videos I put on the shop's Facebook page. I ended up with 70 nonstop minutes of backing tracks in several genres and several keys.

I've been playing along and over them in 10-20 minute stints since I made the disc and the fatigue I'm experiencing is telling me I'm lately spending way too much time fixing guitars and not enough time playing them haha. 

On 2018-04-05 at 11:31 AM, Jeff R said:

I've been playing along and over them in 10-20 minute stints since I made the disc and the fatigue I'm experiencing is telling me I'm lately spending way too much time fixing guitars and not enough time playing them haha. 

At least with all the time you're working on/playing with guitars, you probably don't have time and inclination for GAS.  I have a luthier friend who sees an endless stream of nice (and many more not so nice) instruments come thru the doors, but he rarely changes his own gear up.  Having said that, his instruments are all in A-1 shape playability and set-up wise.

Archived