Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Monaco Elite P-90 vs Gibson LP Special 60 reissue

If you don't have to have a Classic then the Monaco. I mean GOLD TOP, P90's WOW! I would put Gravelin P90's in it. :wub: Josh once again is winding me another set of Pups for Shishkov #90 and we will do it all over again for the next one. ;) 

I would love to have that Monaco! 

LP all day.  Victories...ugh. The MonEl model looks clunky and uninspired. The top carve isn't appealing and the goldtop on that one makes it all the more apparent. Also, the straight-line controls look odd on a carved top.  It generally looks like someone from Heritage had a hand in design.

2v/2t, wraptail, all mahogany, p90s, simple dots instead of victories, trans finish, likely lighter weight, the only thing that could make it better is if it were an SG.

LP for me. Never been a fan of the Monaco Elite. I own two Monaco Superpros which are awesome, but on the Elite's smaller body, the upper bout looks....... well just wrong IMHO. Plus in the late '70's I owned a sweet '57 Junior that looked just like that Gibby.

Gibson...   had a 57 jr single cut custom shop jr ri that was just fantastic.  Stupidly sold.     The one thing tho. The range on those custom shop reissues are all over the place from $3800 pfff... forget that to $1800-ish. Sure.     

More heresy, no doubt, but........My Monaco Elite GT (upgraded P90s) is superb. Maybe I am rationalizing, but I swear I think it is a better guitar than my dearly (long) departed original '56. (But would I trade straight up? No shit kemo sabe!)

Not that I do not appreciate Specials.....I did find one done up in korina with Brazilian board that got snuck outta Germany.......Which is not too shabby either.

Apples to oranges.  The Elite is bordering on coffee table guitar, and as such is a beautifully crafted instrument.   The Jr is straight up rock and fucking roll, begs to be played hard and put away wet.  Really depends on what you're looking for in a guitar.

10 hours ago, cynic said:

2v/2t, wraptail, all mahogany, p90s, simple dots instead of victories, trans finish, likely lighter weight

+1. It's the P-90 recipe that can't be beat. 

lNKipMN.png

The Hamer all day long.....I know and trust the quality...the goldtop looks awesome, I had a MONELM and actually dig the carve and the shelf...and the neck was vintage carve perfection.

I was stupid for trading it, but made a really, really good trade.

Since the questions asks if we had to choose one or the other, I would go with the Hamer just because I would not worry about the quality.  I also like the bridge.  The Les Paul Special is more of what I want, but with all Gibsons there is a need to "try before you buy."

The Hamer. That Gold Top P90 is no coffee table guitar. It's rock n roll. All day all week all night long.

I'd get Hamer to build a Special.

Oh wait........

But yeah, those are two different animals. Get both.

And how is it that I've been jonesin' for the single cut LP Special all week and suddenly bubs has one for sale, then there's this post here, then I'm sanding the top flat on my Les Paul.....

Archived