Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rig Rundown: Robin Trower

10 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Trower keeps it simple because the magic is in his playing.  One day there will be a rig rundown of someone who uses a guitar and amp with nothing else. 

I don't know what Joe B. is doing now, but there was a time he was using a handful of stomp boxes powered by batteries, and a couple of Bassman amps miked and cranked behind Plexiglass baffles.

But that's not minimalist enough. I think these back-to-basics guys are inspiring even further de-gadgetizing. For instance, who needs a reverb unit? Make a box from eight 4 x 8 sheets of ply faced on their insides with hard plastic tiles (if you have lots of roadies and a forklift, just make the panels out of braced MDF, and forego the tiles), that when assembled make an 8' x 8' x 4'' high chamber. Put your amp in one corner, a mic in the opposite, and you have a Natural Reverb Chamber. Put a 2' x 2' vane mounted on a variable speed motor platform that you position in the chamber to create a Natural Chorus Reverb Chamber. Two mics? Stereo Chorus! And why not three mics, or four mics? Or two vanes? You can create novel sounds unheard of in modern electronic whizbangery.

This is the product that deserve to bear the name "Way Huge".

2 hours ago, 0054 said:

Guitar playing was high energy, couldn't get used to Jack Bruce as singer, hard when James Dewar was in that spot. James Dewar was surgically maimed and then died some twenty years later.

Yah, I'd say James Dewar is probably my all time fave singer, so Jack's

vox seemed so out of place.  Not such a problem when Davey Pattison

was in RT's band!

In contrast to his massive guitar sound, I can't get over Trower's little British man voice.  I keep expecting him to say something like, "Enable Deja Vibe, Grommet!  Maximum velocity!"

No disrespect, Trower is awesome.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:23 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Trower keeps it simple because the magic is in his playing.  One day there will be a rig rundown of someone who uses a guitar and amp with nothing else. 

That would be boring. :o

Archived