Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Finish fading

dewey finn

Question

Recently I got an 81 Hamer Special from Reverb. It used to be green and has a greenish tint to it. However the top, back and sides have faded to a natural finish. The green is still present under the knobs and pick up rings. Has anyone seen this before?

jucadhxuyzr0jfn1ccih.jpg

8 answers to this question

We've all seen it on old LP Standards, where '58 cherrybursts have anywhere from faded cherry to no cherry at all. 

I remember too that when the Music Man EVH guitars came out in the early 90s, the purple ones were VERY prone to fade to a sickly-looking natural prematurely.

From like this ...

df4e36fb7e4bc2a7b5aae0124958052c.jpg

To like this ...

zfdmzsllihmxr5r4zfhe.jpg

Hamer green seems to be prone to fading (I've seen a few early ones that did that). I keep mine out of direct sunlight just in case. 

Ron's Guitars in Groton hung a new SS1 in screaming pink in the front window of store, where it promptly faded out.

It all depends on the dyes/finishes used, the wood and what they've been exposed to over the years.  I recall seeing two nearly identical Whale Blue 89 PRS Customs that after 20+ years, looked nothing alike finishwise.  One was still that cool blue-gray, the other was a sick greenish brown.  They were 4 serial numbers apart.

Even these days some dyes and pigments simply fade. I have an EBMM cherryburst Bass from 2007, and it doesn't look like it, but the finish has in fact faded a bit. When I took off the pickguard, it was quite noticeable. However, it still looks awesome so I don't care.

mmbasses6.jpg

Archived