Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gotta Wonder If Jim Morrison Stayed There Too

On 4/12/2018 at 8:36 PM, crunchee said:

It's a Doors auction, get it?  Dunno if he did, but Jimi Hendrix lived there...and Bob Dylan...and Leonard Cohen...and Janis Joplin...and Sid & Nancy...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/nyregion/chelsea-hotel-doors-auction.html

From this article in the UK Telegraph:

Among the hotel's most famous guests are Andy Warhol, Mark Twain, Arthur Miller, Patti Smith and Jim Morrison, all of whom called the Chelsea Hotel home at one time or another.

Regarding Morrison and the Doors,  I watched "Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman" today on AXS TV.  Highly recommended if you have any appreciation at all for the band. Mine seems to increase with each passing year. They were really great, the "L.A. Woman" album especially.

2 hours ago, MCChris said:

Regarding Morrison and the Doors,  I watched "Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman" today on AXS TV.  Highly recommended if you have any appreciation at all for the band. Mine seems to increase with each passing year. They were really great, the "L.A. Woman" album especially.

The first time I heard "Light My Fire" on the radio at the beginning of 1967, they struck me as something special. Light My Fire was one of those songs that--when it came on--time stood still until the song was over. The album version with Robbie Krieger's extended guitar solo intensified that sensation. They were different in all the ways I liked--classically trained keyboardist, Flamenco/electric guitarist, jazz drummer, and strong baritone/poet lyricist and lead singer. I always wondered what they would do next, and they didn't disappoint.

1967 was a hell of a year for rock and was the beginning of Album-oriented Rock on FM radio. To quote Wikipedia's opening paragraph on the subject:

... and for all that, Wikipedia left out The Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed." Listening to the radio in 1967 was both exhilarating and exhausting, there was so much good and creative music, the likes of which we hadn't heard before.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

... and for all that, Wikipedia left out The Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed." Listening to the radio in 1967 was both exhilarating and exhausting, there was so much good and creative music, the likes of which we hadn't heard before.

Equally impressive is a lot of those bands put out multiple great albums in that single year, something that simply does not happen anymore.

29 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Equally impressive is a lot of those bands put out multiple great albums in that single year, something that simply does not happen anymore.

Yep. 1967 saw Hendrix put out both "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold as Love," which is my favorite Hendrix album. Beatles did Sgt Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour. Some of those multiples were not trivial undertakings either.

Archived