Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Experienced wait time?

Studio Custom

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

forever & add a few weeks.

I think he want's something more specific, Matt.

It's forever and 3 weeks.

It's actually comparable to a lot of talented, small builders.  At this point, it's tough to actually guess that from the outside, because it depends on where your order comes in on the backlog/wait list, what he's currently building, how different a particular order is from stock specs, availability of the specific wood, hardware, etc.

You know, what Rodi said.

I could go back and figure out how long the wait was, but I think there are a lot of variables at play. The most relevant being how many times you change your mind on something...

Overall,  the wait was in line with what I expected. There were times that I was getting fidgety, but the bottom line, it was a very reasonable turn around for a custom made guitar, and it is so worth the wait, I am on my third order (and thinking already about the next...)

I wouldn't order one for a gig a month out, but if you have an idea of what your"dream axe" should be, do it. 

How's that for a non - answer... :)

7 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

If you have ordered a guitar from Mike, how long did it take to receive? 

As long as it took.  U#40 was a painful wait.  But well worth it.  It's the guitar I reach for pretty much all the time. 

For me, a guy that with an itchy trigger finger, and loves bottom price guitars, the wait was horrible but only for a little while. #70 turned out to be worth any kind of wait. I'm confident #90 will be as well. If we get things to the next level, the next Shishkov will be amazing! 

I should not weigh in on this question, and no matter what my answer is, or many others, it seems to me this question is designed to stir the pot, so to speak.  But I will address the question in the following manner, which I think is both fair and just.

I ordered Ultimate #47.  Pretty much I was last as I had 46 builds ahead of mine in what was supposed to be a limited run with limited options.  However, it seems to me, and my guitar was no exception, Mike was very generous and allowed us to customize the builds within reason, and he went out of his way to make everyone happy.  I personally requested a unique finish and wood for my build and offered to pay extra, but Mike would not hear of it.  I was pleased to meet Mike and his family and personally pick up my Ultimate.  At that time, I saw the other 2 new models and wanted another guitar built and Mike showed me the wood for #81. I'm also partial to Korina, and what a piece of Korina Mike picked to go with my Maple top.  I also got to tour his shop, and see what goes into building one of his guitars.  Everything has to be spot on (perfect) to meet his standards or its not used.  I recall seeing the original wood for the first strat style (for lack of a better description) guitar.  As I recollect reading, that wood had a defect and during production, Mike had to make another body from scratch.  This devotion to quality and pleasing his customer base is why he has so much business.  I personally want another guitar, but I'm not sure what will please me at this point, I already have Ultimate #47 and #81 is currently in production.

To the person that is posing the question in this thread, Mike is a single person, hand crafting every guitar to meet both his quality standards and the unique specifications of everyone that has placed an order, or 2 or 3, etc., and for that reason, the quality is spot on (i.e., incredible).  These are not cookie cut guitars, so all I will say is the wait time is reasonable considering the customer base placing orders and the uniqueness of each guitar. 

If this response pisses off anyone, it was not intentional.  Moderators, please feel free to delete it if you feel I am out of line.

Thank you.

I am as impatient as anyone. I mean, I am NOT getting any younger! BUT, it takes as long as it takes. I will be most pleased when we get to the next step. In the meantime, I have zero doubt it will be more than worth the wait.

I'd LIKE to volunteer to be an apprentice. Just two problems:

1. I'd dilute the quality of the end product

2. It'd be one helluva commute

I approved my spec sheet in January of 2016 and picked up the guitar in July of 2017. There was a lot of waiting involved, but I knew there would be. Anytime I communicated with Mike or Trish I always made sure they knew I wasn't trying to rush them. Quality takes time. And, in fact, I was hoping it would be ready during a time when I could pick it up in person. Right before the finish went on, I asked Trish to keep taking pictures but don't send them to me  - I wanted to be surprised.

So sometimes you wait a long time.

And then you drive halfway across the country.

It was a long trip, and that drive from the hotel to Shishkov HQ seems to take forever.

But then you meet Mike and his family and they're the nicest, most gracious people you could ever hope to meet.

You're standing in his house.

There's a guitar case on a little table in the front room.

You open the case.

You pick up the guitar and hold it for the first time.

And that's when you realize that it was totally, 100%, worth the wait.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

There is no such thing as time. Time is a construct of our perception.

Bullshit, Mike.  This white hair in my beard ain't no "construct" of my perception.  I'm getting fucking old.  Time...

16 minutes ago, The Shark said:

Bullshit, Mike.  This white hair in my beard ain't no "construct" of my perception.  I'm getting fucking old.  Time...

The degeneration of our bodies is definitely real, but you're only as old as you feel (now THAT'S some bullshit for you).

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

The degeneration of our bodies is definitely real, but you're only as old as you feel (now THAT'S some bullshit for you).

Nah, I lost thirty three pounds last year.  I took medication for hypertension for twenty seven years.  I take nothing now.  I'm in the best shape of my adult life.  But the clock is ticking.  No denying that.  No getting around it.  Wait time means more for me than it used to...

Archived