Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Deal Breakers

On 16/04/2018 at 8:29 AM, Biz Prof said:

Although I played these in my college-era band and made a shit-ton of money covering such schlock, my list now includes: "Brown Eyed Girl", "Wonderful Tonight", "Cocaine", "Can't You See". There are a few more along these lines, but since they induce vomiting, I'll refrain from naming them. 

Never had a problem with Journey, but only ever played "Feeling That Way/Anytime" and "Lights". If you actually try to cover any of their stuff, you'll find that the instrumentation and vocal harmonies are a bitch to replicate. 

Currently, I'm working on a brace of tunes I never thought I'd play in a cover band, but which I find fun to play and I know will elicit a raucous cheer from the audience: "Good Ol' Boys" by Waylon, followed by "Act Naturally" (hybrid of the Beatles and Buck Owens).  By doing these, if we get requests for country, we'll have these bona fide country tunes ready to go. If someone in the crowd then asks for Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, or such shite, I can respond, "You mean you really like countrified Nickelback?"

Wonderful Tonight, eh?  ..."So I give her the car keys and she gives me some head,  dum, dum, dum, and then she asks me,  schlup, schlush, schoof, and then I tell her I'm almost there, don't slow down now,  Yes,  we did play Wonderful Tonight and overall we played great tonight, didn't we?  Yeshschlurp mmmhuh.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a call last night to fill in at a gig with an 80's cover band. It's going to be hilarious playing and Jenny Jenny and all the stuff I did way back in the day.

Luckily, they are not doing that particularly annoying J Geils song, a deal breaker for me.

Funny story, my bassist went to an audition before we met.  After they played, the band leader wanted to know if he'd do ANYTHING to get signed.  My friend asked for clarification.  The band leader told him that he did not expect him to "take it up the ass" but if some producer wanted to blow him" would be be ok with it?  He said "no" and started to leave.  The guy then screamed at him for not being dedicated enough.  It was a "deal breaker" as they say. 

"Every Rose has its thorn"  for me.

Folks truly dig that song though, especially drunk ones.

I just cannot stand it,  even hearing it, much less playing it.

But I used to play many, many covers for many years - so I should NOT be a snob. ...Just hate that friggin song

For me, it's anything done poorly.  I know that's subjective, but even if I don't necessarily care for a song, if I'm in a group that's playing it well, and the people are enjoying it, then I'm good with it.  But if you have a person who misses lyrics (when you have them to refer to) or doesn't know the chords in the songs, etc.  that the deal breaker for me.  Doesn't have to be the best version ever, but should be solid.  

On 4/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, Biz Prof said:

Never had a problem with Journey, but only ever played "Feeling That Way/Anytime" and "Lights". If you actually try to cover any of their stuff, you'll find that the instrumentation and vocal harmonies are a bitch to replicate. 

Love both of those. Don't like the ballads. I've done Stone In Love in 2 recent bands, great rawk tune, great harmonies, great guitar solo

9 hours ago, Brooks said:

Love both of those. Don't like the ballads. I've done Stone In Love in 2 recent bands, great rawk tune, great harmonies, great guitar solo

Agreed 100%.

When I play with Serial's band (a few times a year, if I'm lucky!), they cover "Stone In Love", "Any Way You Want It", "Don't Stop Believin'"...even a few others.  It makes a difference when there are two guys who can hit the Steve Perry stuff as well as 3 and/or 4 part harmonies, but the first two rawk and are a blast to play.

I have a handful of maybe 10 songs that if brought up make me cringe.  I'll make every argument I can against them, but ultimately if it's me against the entire band I'll give in and play the damn things.

Archived