Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I still haven't tried a Tele Size P90.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Rio Dirty Harry.  

You can thank me later.  

Bubs, I have the DH set I bought from you. New in the box IIRC. Let me know if you want them back. 

53 minutes ago, Hbom said:

Bubs, I have the DH set I bought from you. New in the box IIRC. Let me know if you want them back. 

@kizanski, busted! I bought a few tele sets when I purchased the Twin Town Tele and one of them was the DH set. I went through a few sets but when I got to Josh's Set he wound for me the train stopped. The rest of the Teles that came through either got some kind of noiseless pickups or rails. I was trying out different neck shapes and neck woods, body woods, but the incoming guitar I think is the time to try a P90'ish Set. Its not exactly straight up tele, so it will be fun! 

Hbom, PM SENT

Reilander makes a tele style pickup that actually looks like  a p-90, RPT9C.Take a look at that.  I have one in a partscaster along with a SD firebird minibucker in the neck. It twangs and barks! I like it.I looked at DH but like the way the Reilander is constructed so I took a chance. Glad I did.

https://reilandercustomguitar.com/shop/tp90-classic/

Interesting quote from the Rio site: “For those who dig Telecasters, but have to work soooo hard to squeeze out a useable sound”

If you can’t get a useable sound out of a Tele, you’re doing it wrong...

:

Agree 100%, the Set Josh wound a set of Tele pups for me with enough push to run with my Junior volume wise, but not as dark sounding. He handed me an amazing set, with very quick and articulate bottom end, with a snappy but not brittle top end. They will probably end up in this guitar sooner or later, they always seem to win in the shoot out. 

10 hours ago, Jack C said:

Interesting quote from the Rio site: “For those who dig Telecasters, but have to work soooo hard to squeeze out a useable sound”

If you can’t get a useable sound out of a Tele, you’re doing it wrong...

:

So True. 

17 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Still one of those pickups I have not tried and have always wanted too. Anyone currently using one? I have a project incoming that I would like to try them in. 

My mahogany body tele has a Harmonic Design Super 90 in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SM-3 in the neck. Killer combination.

You still can't go wrong with a set of Dirty Harry's though...

15 hours ago, Jack C said:

I didn't write that part.

3 hours ago, FGJ said:

I have a Rio Grande in my T51 and it can get almost P90ish when pushed. The tone is as perfect as I could ever ask.

Rio DH Set on the way. They should arrive the same day as the guitar and a weekend of tweaking, soldering, salvaging with ensue.  

1 minute ago, LucSulla said:

What if I had been mulling that over, as one does about p90-sized teles, at the same time that I saw this post?

THAT would have been a coincidence.
However, a Tele-sized P-90 is the converse of a P-90-sized Tele. Neither of which sounds like they'd be very useful.
Now, a P-90-sized Tele pickup...now that's more like it.

I'm a big fan of the SD Quarter Pound Tele bridge pickup, which is P90-ish, especially the tapped version which gives a great single-coil tone as well.  The tapped sound is not authentic Tele twang due to the QP's lack of a metal base plate, but it's a worthwhile alternative to the QP's full coil, which is gigantic and fat, but can get muddy at times.  The full coil is best for single-note leads.

I have accumulated all the parts for an Esquire build, specifically so I can have a guitar with a tapped QP.  I'm going with a 2-knob control plate, with pots for volume and spin-a-tap, allowing me to dial in any point between the tap and the full coil.  If spring ever arrives, and brings weather conducive to painting a guitar body in my garage, I'll start putting it all together.

On April 18, 2018 at 4:36 AM, bubs_42 said:

Rio DH Set on the way. They should arrive the same day as the guitar and a weekend of tweaking, soldering, salvaging with ensue.  

Actually, I have Rio's Muy Grande set, but I'd like to hear the DH. I'll bet it sounds awesome as well.

The guitar arrived on Friday and I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to open it. When I got home the box l laying flat on the ground with the mail under it, the weight of the guitar was full tilt to one side of box and to the face of the box. Also when I stood the box up I realized the guitar was in there opposite of the labels. Which means the headstock was facing down! On top of all of that, I didn't get shipped in a case, so I prepared myself for the absolute worst scenario. After opening the box, everything turned out fine, but next to the Junior this is the second dirtiest guitar i've ever received. Fretboard has a tone of DNA built up on it, I haven't cleaned it up much just the body at this point so I could see how bad the paint was. Turns out that If I completely stripped the guitar down, I could buff the body out to almost new condition. I would guess most of these scratches are from rubbing the paper inside the box during shipping.

Archived