polara

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Sure it does, and no it isn't. 

Matthias-Jabs-from-The-Scorpians-guitari

Yeah... proving my point for me.
And anyway, if there already is one, isn't that enough?

Danny Ferrington (pre-Kramer) made an acoustic Explorer for Nick Lowe that looked just like a sunburst Standard, dots and all. Can’t find a pic on the web. I’ll shoot one from his book when I get home tonite. 

12 minutes ago, RobB said:

Danny Ferrington (pre-Kramer) made an acoustic Explorer for Nick Lowe that looked just like a sunburst Standard, dots and all. Can’t find a pic on the web. I’ll shoot one from his book when I get home tonite. 

Don't go through all that trouble on my account.

Probably the stupidest idea for a guitar since the Reverse Flying Vee.

7 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Don't go through all that trouble on my account.

Probably the stupidest idea for a guitar since the Reverse Flying Vee.

etfplt8orhweqtatqjux.jpg

20 hours ago, django49 said:

This one got passed along to another member here, but it is another just a touch above the norm.....The one-off "Ultimate Duotone". 

36248915625_3bfbb281c6_b.jpg

36248916105_5200070cae_b.jpg

This one pretty much loos like the abalone stuffed XT Sunbursts floating around. Not kidding. Those Sunbursts look nicely fashioned.

On 19/04/2018 at 10:19 AM, kizanski said:

Not Ed Roman.  He actually gets a pass for once.
The artisans responsible for that forgery are at GMW Guitar Works.

I never did biz with Ed Roman.  Spoke with him once.  IIRC he seemed like a nice enough guy.  Its not polite to speak badly about the dead after all its way easier for them to enter a complaint about you.  Its a proximity thing, you know.

So what was so horrible about Ed Roman.  Most of the long time, respected members around here start gagging when they hear his name uddered.  So explain please, and use well vetted examples to support your case.  Thanks my HFC Brothers and Ed Roman haters.  Picture THAT Ven diagram. 

Lute

hb_89.2.157.jpg

Maker: Sixtus Rauchwolff (German, Augsburg 1556?–after 1629)

Headstock Courtesy of UPS Custom Shop (2011 after 1:00am)

Date: 1596

Geography: Augsburg, Germany

Culture: German

Medium: Rosewood, ivory, wood, ebony

Dimensions: Height: 23 in. (58.4 cm)
Width: 7 in. (17.8 cm)

The Seedless Watermelon Mandolino - finish by Stike

hb_2008.2a,b_av1.jpgmi1972.111.1a-c.AV1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Caddie said:

I never did biz with Eb Roman.  Spoke with him once.  IIRC he seemed like a nice enough guy.  Its not polite to speak badly about the dead after all its way easier for them to enter a complaint about you.  Its a proximity thing, you know.

So what was so horrible about Ed Roman.  Most of the long time, respected members around here start gagging when they hear his name uddered.  So explain please, and use well vetted examples to support your case.  Thanks my HFC Brothers and Ed Roman haters.  Picture THAT Ven diagram. 

He was a douche and a fraudster rip off artist scambot.

17 minutes ago, Caddie said:
17 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

He was a douche and a fraudster rip off artist scambot.

Esplain please, and use well vetted examples to support your case.  Slinging poop is not sufficient. 

Perhaps a visit to a B.C. Rich forum would provide a lot of information about Ed Roman. 

A friend bought a Gene Simmons Punisher bass from Ed Roman.  In 1995 he took it to a KISS Convention for Gene to sign.  As Gene signed it he looked it over carefully.  One day Ed Roman called my friend asking if he would be interested in selling his Punisher, but my friend declined since he was a big KISS fan and the bass was now autographed.  Roman said something like, "So you're the one."  Apparently Gene called Ed Roman about the unauthorized B.C. Rich Punisher that was handed to him at the KISS Convention.  Roman had been making them out of what he claimed were leftover factory parts, but officially there were only a few made for Gene when the company was still in business. 

Ernie Ball/Music Man stopped Ed Roman from selling any of their guitars. 

Ed Roman's original haunt was Eastcoast Music in Danbury, CT. (as many of you Nutmeggers likely already know). I lived in Norwalk and Fairfield for years so on days off I would shoot up there from time to time. Their inventory was pretty decent and they carried some brands that you couldn't find everywhere. 

Ed sat behind the counter on a stool, holding court. What little personality he had was just flat out rude. I was in that store with a wad of cash ready to go more than once and was treated so poorly that I left. Compare that with the Sam Ash store in White Plains that treated me like gold from a very early age and where I spent plenty of my parents' money and then even more of my own.

My interaction with Ed took place before the internet or Vegas or any of the incidents that gave him national notoriety, but he was just a shitty guy in person. I've never met anyone who met him during that era that had a single positive thing to say about him. The internet is what made him, because he could hide behind his rants and cheap fakes.

9 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

Compare that with the Sam Ash store in White Plains that treated me like gold from a very early age and where I spent plenty of my parents' money and then even more of my own.

The White Plains, NY Sam Ash and Guiliano's Custom Guitars were my two haunts back in the '80s.

19 hours ago, Caddie said:

Esplain please, and use well vetted examples to support your case.  Slinging poop is not sufficient. 

Luv ya, EO, but I don't really need to justify my personal experiences (yes, plural) with that now rotting carcass, formerly living troll bag of shit.  For every story you read on the internet about how awful of a human he was, there are probably a dozen that you don't see.

He was as crooked as they come, and had several brands pulled for either making outright forgeries or altering things so severely and then leaving poor customers trying to make warranty claims on something that would never be covered (and as mentioned, may not have even been a legit guitar...this happened with Hamer as well as others).

14 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Luv ya, EO, but I don't really need to justify my personal experiences (yes, plural) with that now rotting carcass, formerly living troll bag of shit.  For every story you read on the internet about how awful of a human he was, there are probably a dozen that you don't see.

He was as crooked as they come, and had several brands pulled for either making outright forgeries or altering things so severely and then leaving poor customers trying to make warranty claims on something that would never be covered (and as mentioned, may not have even been a legit guitar...this happened with Hamer as well as others).

Now I get it.  Thanks Chris,  The Blackhawks had early tee times, one & done.  I haven't been keeping up, how are the Caps & Pens doing?

3 hours ago, anotherfreak said:

...or this monstrosityusedtobemine.jpg

Beyond cool...

11 hours ago, anotherfreak said:

...or this monstrosityusedtobemine.jpg

First gold top I like!

On 4/20/2018 at 7:25 AM, Hamerica said:

I nominate...

• I have "Peter" Envy so anything by HamStd  
  • Yin & Yang, Nightfire - if its got a name which multiple HFC'rs recognize the guitar by its name (i.e. The Punisher)
  • Anything LE from Hamer USA - Korina, Koa, 25th, 30th, Redwood, Earthen Maple, you get the idea.
  • #0029 & #0055
  • Any Virtuoso
  • Any 4 digit musical instrument by Hamer USA
  • http://www.hamerguitaraddict.com/  drool worthy right here

Thanks for the mention amigo! Here are a few of the mentioned.....

Nightfire_sm.jpg

9 Group Shot Updated_sm.jpg

Yin and Yang.jpg

Archived