Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: cheap first guitar for a kid in Republic of Georgia

A couple years ago I went to Georgia (the country) and loved it. Met people, and spent time in people's homes. This family I know has a kid named Dima, who's about 15 and a relly good kid. His aunt told me he wants to learn electric guitar but I know they're really poor. They literally were burning furniture in the fireplace last winter.

I'm gonna scrounge Craigslist and pawnshops for something but if anyone has like a nasty old battery-powered (or 240v) amp or a Mel Bay book or some strings in a gauge they don't use, I'd like to put together a little care package, as I'm going there next month for some possible business dealings. For that matter if you have a bastrdized Squire or something you'd sell me for a hundred bucks, let me know. I don't want to give the kid JUNK, just a start on playing.

Thanks!

Its would just be easier and most likely cheaper to buy an Ibanez, or Fender Starter Pack. I still to this day play the Ibanez I bought my niece 15years ago. Now finding a 240v amp, that might be a little harder. 

What about one of those Vox Headphone amps? We could chip in for batteries too. 

Thanks all, I think we already have a line on a guitar... with Hamer on the headstock no less! I'll let the kind soul making the offer make himself known if he wishes.

I'm happy to pony up for a headphone amp myself... have no idea what's out there actually. If anyone has something they want to put in the care package, let me know.

This is a great group... but you all know that! It'll be an adventure taking it over there on freakin' Aeroflot... wish me luck.

Thanks!

I think we re in good shape... have a line on guitar and little amp. I'll gt him strings and stringwinder and picks and strap, and teach him a few basics... you guys are incredible! I'll post lots of pics and videos from Georgia, May 21-26.

Viva HFC!

Be sure to send the guitar so he'll at least have it for summer, before it goes in the fireplace next winter.

I KID!!!

Really, dude....you are scoring some great karma points with this. The crazy old men on this forum never fail to impress.  Strings are always needed, cheap, and really help out. I could PP you $10 for a set. Let me know if needed.

9 hours ago, FrettyMcgee said:

Be sure to send the guitar so he'll at least have it for summer, before it goes in the fireplace next winter.

I KID!!!

Really, dude....you are scoring some great karma points with this. The crazy old men on this forum never fail to impress.  Strings are always needed, cheap, and really help out. I could PP you $10 for a set. Let me know if needed.

I think we are locked and loaded. I have strap and picks and stuff cluttering up the house, and guitar and amp are selected. I'll put a few packs of D'Addarios in the case with a Snark and a winder-clipper and we are good to go!

Videos in 4 weeks :)

If the guitar does not work out. I have one of the slammer daytonas and one of those amplugs people are talking about. I could just send it out to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Some small amps such as my Roland Micro Cube use an external supply.  The Micro Cube uses the same 9V as a pedal board.  I use a cheap one-spot external supply with my Micro Cube.  I'm sure one could easily find a 240V to 9V supply, being that's what they must use across the pond.

Taking off Saturday, and the packing will be an interesting challenge. I'll take the neck off, bubble-wrap everything and tape the body and neck together in a bundle, and hope no one at Aeroflot decides to grab a souvenir. Picked up extra strings, a Planet Waves cutter-winder, and a Korg tuner. May only pack the Vox headphone amp, as this is getting bulky fast!

15 hours ago, polara said:

Taking off Saturday, and the packing will be an interesting challenge. I'll take the neck off, bubble-wrap everything and tape the body and neck together in a bundle, and hope no one at Aeroflot decides to grab a souvenir. Picked up extra strings, a Planet Waves cutter-winder, and a Korg tuner. May only pack the Vox headphone amp, as this is getting bulky fast!

Awesome!  Glad you were able to make this happen.

Archived