Hamer Fan Club Message Center

T-Top Pickups

So I was doing some reading and came across someone selling T-Top pickups.  The claim is that this is the sound of Angus and Jimmy.  Apparently there's a short A5 bar magnet in there.  Can anyone give more info on these.  Or at least corroborate what's described here:

https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-throbak-70-select-t-top.html

if you are after the T-top sound pickup . go here: Order a few different sets from him over the year. Spot on t-top tone.

7.7k - 7.8k AlNiCo 5 Asymmetric Wind - Late '60s "Patent Sticker T-Top" tone. Nice open character that stays open with volume rollback and has good chime. Goes from sweet cleans to the edge of "brown". A versatile wind that covers a ton of ground with a good boost/EQ pedal. Not technically my "PAF-type" wind, but if you've ever played an original patent sticker you know these were just as good.

http://highorderpickups.com/

Wow! $500 for a pair from throback...You know, you could find 2 pairs of original t-tops for that kind of money, you'll have to wait for them to come up, but you'll find them. I'd say they come up one a month or two. But the one's you would want would be t tops from 70-74, from 75 and up they are different, although the bobbins have same T on top, so technically they are also T tops, but you'll know by markings on the back. Beginning of the 70s will have the sticker with Pat Number xxx.xxx.xx , after 75 pat number will be stamped into the backplate.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:22 AM, BubbaVO said:

Can anyone give more info on these.

On T-Tops character?

even low wind, T-Tops have this gritty chime to them when pushed, then a nice 3d harmonic clean tone when relaxed.

My 72' LPC is stock, the Bridge T-Top is hotter than most, 8+ k, still very T-Top ish with a lil more growl to it. They, the guitar sounds amazing.

Even potting, re potting them did not change anything about them. Bench mark.

Even though Greg Martin of the Kentucky Headhunters has a 1958 LP with actual PAFs, he really digs T-tops and is always on the lookout for them. I think he likes them for his live concert Guitars..,though he does bring the 1958 out from time to time.

Archived