Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Player-Grade Hamer Pics

I recently picked up a 2008 Newport that looks like it was barely played.  The vast majority of used Hamers that I've bought (mostly post 2000) look hardly played.  I've owned a 22-year old Daytona that didn't have a knick or scratch on it.  Anyone care to share pics of their "player-grade" Hamers?

Remember the modified, stickered and molested black standard that looked like it went to hell and back drug by a rope behind a dirt bike? 

I think this is the AFTER TLC photo.

84892c5946c8e9f100c3a46464cb99ca.jpg

46 minutes ago, kizanski said:

That was mine many years ago.
The 2nd smallest Hamer neck I've ever seen.

Yeah, if you turned it sideways it would disappear.

8 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Yeah, if you turned it sideways it would disappear.

But the Prince Studio Custom could hide behind it.
That's the smallest Hamer neck I've ever seen.

I “only” own three Hamers and they are all player-grade, though they are quite unique too.

The Schenker Vector might be the sole ‘67 Flying V-inspired Vector ever built by Hamer. Even Jol remembered it. It’s a screamer and does show a lot of battle scars.

The ‘81 Camo Vector is a sweet axe which was exhibited at the Hamer booth at NAMM in 1981. I still have to go to the library to verify if there are pictures of it in Guitar Player, as the legend says. :)  It sports many nitro cracks and a fair amount of dings. 

The Standard from Hell is a 4-digit which was Kev’s first Hamer. He recorded with it the most of the rhythm parts of Hell’s second album. It also appears on their live DVD on the deluxe edition of that very album. It has a lot of battle scars, as it’s... well... pure heavy metal history! And it does sound and play awesomely.

PS: I realize they might be also considered “righteous”, but I still prefer their functional side, so it’s in this “working-class” topic where I finally decide to share these pics. :) 

0B1A0553-C5AE-42E2-B717-B081BD88285D.jpeg

C1E20D6B-6C3D-4993-B270-A2A4D28E877E.jpeg

BC8AF3E6-1845-4A67-AA6F-7E3D76D3E4D5.jpeg

My three 4-digit Standards have been played a lot. As often with great guitars. The one that looks best in the finish etc needed a refret. The other two got their frets dressed and have battle scars all over.

I have one Sunburst that is pristine, but was played a lot and I had to get it it a refret. One of my Sunbursts had a  previous owner who played the same song(s) so often on it it has worn down dimples from his fingers on the back of the neck. 

My newer Hamer's get played A LOT, but I take care of them. I don't abuse them like I did with guitars when I was (a lot) younger. The guitars looks great, but I have got a lot of mileage out of them.

I know I just posted pictures of my beloved '81 Special on the Everybody posts about their new guitars..... thread, but I think it pretty much fits the definition of player grade. I've never intentionally abused it -- in fact I've always been careful with it - but things happen over the course of 3+ decades.

Like that time in 2007 when my strap came apart and the guitar went crashing down onto my pedalboard. One of the vertical edges of the 'board caught the neck just behind the nut and put a good-sized gouge in it. And considering how incredibly thin the neck is to begin with, I'm really surprised it didn't snap the headstock right off. But it didn't.

IoyU16W.jpg

p0GQL30.jpg

So it's got quite a few battle scars.

basNykg.jpg

On 4/19/2018 at 1:55 PM, kizanski said:

But the Prince Studio Custom could hide behind it.
That's the smallest Hamer neck I've ever seen.

I think your memory is playing tricks on you - that's nowhere near as small/thin/narrow as a lot of '80s Hamers!  It's got a weird, soft V that makes it seem thinner, but A/B'd next to another guitar, like an 80s Special, an '80s Phantom and an early '90s Sunburst, it's definitely a fuller profile and has a standard nut width too.

26 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you - that's nowhere near as small/thin/narrow as a lot of '80s Hamers!  It's got a weird, soft V that makes it seem thinner, but A/B'd next to another guitar, like an 80s Special, an '80s Phantom and an early '90s Sunburst, it's definitely a fuller profile and has a standard nut width too.

It felt like a pencil to me. I was afraid I was going to break it.

HamerbooksigningRocketeria9713PrinceBatterupKiz_zpsa84b4965.jpg

It's because you're so powerful and strong!  

On 4/20/2018 at 7:18 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

Well there is this one.............................,played to holy heck but it iS marvelous!WCcMwzz.jpgK9oJd3X.jpgf7ZUaSK.jpgpnang8F.jpg

Just in case anyone is wondering.................I DID see this guitar before I bought it but only by the photos and it did not slow me down one bit as to if I wanted to buy it. And this IS the condition that the guitar was sold to me in,I did none of the play wear you see here................someone obviously rocked it The guitar turned out to be better in everyway that you would want a guitar to be.When you have to purchase a expensive guitar online and you can't be there in person its a dice roll,but i got real lucky to find this one.[Actually it was found for me] I can appreciate a beautiful pristine guitar but the "Players" grade guitars are often the ones I find most beautiful as they have been used and loved to make music................what they are made for.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, Jeff R said:

Remember the modified, stickered and molested black standard that looked like it went to hell and back drug by a rope behind a dirt bike? 

I think this is the AFTER TLC photo.

84892c5946c8e9f100c3a46464cb99ca.jpg

Looks like there’s some killer flame on that one.

Archived