Hamer Fan Club Message Center

You mad, bro?

I belong to 3 forums: TalkBass, TurboDodge & The HFC, and there’s a lot of great people, and no drama. 

And that suits me just fine.

2 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

Popped back on to that to try and sell a guitar.  I've pretty much had my fill.  

Yeah, say what you will about eBay, but there is one advantage to selling on eBay (and Reverb) and that is removing the need to suffer the insufferable.
Yes, you get just as many stupid questions about the weight, neck dimensions, and "acoustic voice" of the guitar you are trying to sell, but if you don't want to answer them, no one will ever know about it. Except, of course, the person asking it, but who gives a shit?

Try that on The Gear Page.
Before you know it, every wannabe has-been ain't-never-was is coming out of the woodwork to tell you about his extensive gigging schedule and his Princess and the Pea ability to discern the measurements of a neck being one mm smaller than another just by looking at it with his penis.

It doesn't matter that you are suddenly being chastised for saying things you never said. It doesn't matter that their reading comprehension is on par with the quality of a modern day Epiphone. And conclusions a leapt to with an Olympian's ability.

From now on I'll sell here and eBay.  I've had nothing but success with that plan for over 15 years.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Yeah, say what you will about eBay, but there is one advantage to selling on eBay (and Reverb) and that is removing the need to suffer the insufferable.
Yes, you get just as many stupid questions about the weight, neck dimensions, and "acoustic voice" of the guitar you are trying to sell, but if you don't want to answer them, no one will ever know about it. Except, of course, the person asking it, but who gives a shit?

I actually thought about this yesterday.  I picked up a semi-hollow ASAT Special off Reverb that was "just set up" and had a "modern classic" neck.  Modern classic described on G&L's site as below:

1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off. Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.
ORDER CODE: MCNK

Well, unless the dude played slide, the set up was pretty awful.  I had to lower the saddles quite a bit.  And there is no way this is a Modern Classic neck.  It's easily as thick as the 50s profile neck on my LP Trad, which is pretty damned thick. I'm guessing it is a Classic Plus C, but I too do not own calipers so just a guess. 

And I kind of chuckled thinking immediately of that TGP thread.  First, I don't think there is a perfect neck. Unless I warm up, stay conscious of how hard I'm gripping things, and remember to suck down some water more often that those Wild Turkeys, it's cramp city on those slim, modern-shredder necks.  On the other hand, the Les Paul gets a little tight past the 12th fret, but I can play it all night with no cramping.  And anything between those wide, flat compound radius necks and the baseball bats is compromising one for the other.  I've never found a single neck curve that is all things, but I find many neck carves to be fantastic for different reasons.

So basically, I don't care.  If the neck isn't twisted, the truss rod isn't stuck, and the bridge saddles function fine, I'm always happy with what shows up as far as that bit goes.  I got it sorted in about 10 minutes and was reminded how comfortable a fat neck can be when you're doing a lot of barre chords and funk rhythm stuff.  But I laughed at what a fit some of those dudes at TGP would have thrown on principle over what I believe was an honest mistake on the part of the seller out of probably just not knowing a helluvalot about guitars.  And hell, maybe he likes high action and it really was set up perfectly for him.  

To a degree, I feel like all you can do is give your best description of a guitar and guarantee all the hardware works as it is supposed to.  Beyond that, it's all so subjective that if you are that particular (and I don't think there is anything wrong with being particular), you really shouldn't be buying gear online.  You're either going to have to deal with spending more and having a smaller market from which to choose so that you can test drive, or you're going to have to accept that every last detail is not going to be 100% perfect but have more choice and better bargains.   

I guess now that I am on this, I think it's hilarious when you think that even when you do a custom order, there is almost always something that you would probably change if you could wave a magic wand.  And that's when you spec it out yourself.  Someone pointed out on a podcast I listen to that guitarists with signature guitars usually go through several prototypes before getting it right.  These are pro guitar players getting the celebrity treatment from professional guitar manufacturers who still have to iterate several times over before getting it right. Yet you have some dudes on the net who seem to believe that with a precise scale and a set of calipers, they'll be able to find a used guitar online that will be just as perfect. 

It's a total crap shoot buying online.  When I bought the now departed Newport I asked about the neck carve.  I didn't ask the seller to break out the calipers.  What he thought was chunk and what I thought was chunky are very different.  But my custom order did get me exactly what I like.  Sold a bunch of guitars to fund another.  Despite in line to get the exact guitar I want from a true craftsman, Im still GAS'n for a beater SG.  It never ends does it?  

Honestly, it's more than TGP. I think it is mostly young people who have read a blog or two and have no real practical knowledge in the subject matter. In their minds they feel they know it all after reading a blog. You are wrong no matter what your experience and expertise. And it's not just limited to guitar works. My son and I get into "discussions" where we either get banned or just remove ourselves in the reptile discussion groups. And for those of us who haven't quit FB (yet) we see it in nearly every post you read. I'd like to blame it on social media but I bet if you put these people in a room face to face they would be exactly as rude as they are online. 

In that spirit, I'd like to say fuck you guys very much for making this a safe place for kind discussions where I feel I can ask nearly any question, since I know I know less about guitars than all of you, and feel like I am treated as a protoje.

To that, since I know I don't know as much as you we can refer back to Kruger / Dunning that a friend of mine turned me onto when I realized how insulting stupidity is to my intelligence and why. 

3 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Honestly, it's more than TGP. I think it is mostly young people who have read a blog or two and have no real practical knowledge in the subject matter. In their minds they feel they know it all after reading a blog. You are wrong no matter what your experience and expertise. And it's not just limited to guitar works. My son and I get into "discussions" where we either get banned or just remove ourselves in the reptile discussion groups. And for those of us who haven't quit FB (yet) we see it in nearly every post you read. I'd like to blame it on social media but I bet if you put these people in a room face to face they would be exactly as rude as they are online. 

In that spirit, I'd like to say fuck you guys very much for making this a safe place for kind discussions where I feel I can ask nearly any question, since I know I know less about guitars than all of you, and feel like I am treated as a protoje.

To that, since I know I don't know as much as you we can refer back to Kruger / Dunning that a friend of mine turned me onto when I realized how insulting stupidity is to my intelligence and why. 

Fuck you, too, pal! :P

3 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I'd like to blame it on social media but I bet if you put these people in a room face to face they would be exactly as rude as they are online.

Not with me they wouldn't.

I got on TGP last year just for the purpose of getting on one thread, the Lovepedal thread.  Cool peeps on it, but the rest of that joint is as fucked up as I’ve always heard it was.

The HFC on the other hand is quite simply the best guitar Forum...shit, I think it is the best Forum period on the net. 

You all rock.

I think we try really hard to keep things civil here and also don't endure a lot of bullshit.

It helps that 99.9% of the people who post here are just fucking cool though.

14 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I think we try really hard to keep things civil here and also don't endure a lot of bullshit.

It helps that 99.9% of the people who post here are just fucking cool though.

I honestly think that most of us don't have to try to keep things civil. It's just the way we are here and yeah, we're all fucking cool especially StyX.

Archived