Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Black beauty!

I found a 2001 Gibson Black beauty 57 custom shop reissue with upgraded electronics and pickups for $3500.  I'm thinking about selling some guitars and just focusing on a few ... does anyone know if 2001 is generally a good year for the 57 reissue? Anything I should watch out for?

THanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also it comes with bootiki A2 pickups. Lust tone 57's $450 per set. If anyone wants to "chime in " on the A2 factor that would be cool too. All I know is that Slash uses A2's in his LP. Most of my guitars are A5 although that BK mule I had (A4) in the neck of a FM special was the best sounding pickup I've ever heard. 

On board with the idea of just having a few nice axes as it worked for me.  That said $3500 seems like a pretty good chunk of change, does it come with original stuff too?  

Yeah, all original stuff included ... the seller seems pretty cool and I trust that it is in good shape but a resident expert here informed me that it might be better if I looked for something lighter and made between 2005 to 2007 . Any leads appreciated

56 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

$4G's is a LOT of money, son. My opinion? Try to find a pre-1994 LP Classic. Look for the ones that have, "Les Paul Model" (not "Les Paul Classic") stencils on the headstock. Excellent guitars and half of what you'd pay for a GCS. . The Music Zoo just had a really nice example for $1700 or so.

This way, you'll be able to keep your FGN. They have real ebony fingerboards, I'm told...

That seems high and the top isnt that nice.  And also keep in mind the 60’s I believe have the slimmer neck profile.     I like r8’s myself nice fuller neck.   Nice lemon burst, dirty lemon my faves.. Are you  looking for a particular color?

Prices on Custom Shop Reissue LPs are tanking.  Check the sold prices on eBay.  58s are well under 3K and 59s are heading in the same direction. There are dozens of unsold RIs on eBay and Reverb with grossly unrealistic asking prices.

I believe the exceptional mahogany was used in the 2003 and 2007 models

Well, I pulled the trigger on this bad boy as it met all the criteria. I got it for $3500. Hell, the garden variety LP standard at my local music shop is $3495. plus tax.  LPs have always been expensive. Great year, great finish, great shape. I think I did OK. The original owner paid over $5000 for it new. Now I get to sell a bunch of gear to pay for it. Who wants a Cruise bass?  :)

2 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

Well, I pulled the trigger on this bad boy as it met all the criteria. I got it for $3500. Hell, the garden variety LP standard at my local music shop is $3495. plus tax.  LPs have always been expensive. Great year, great finish, great shape. I think I did OK. The original owner paid over $5000 for it new. Now I get to sell a bunch of gear to pay for it. Who wants a Cruise bass?  :)

Welcome to the family of Black Beauty lovers :) 

5ade277128395_GibsonLPBlacks.jpg.a8ac7301d4adf1fda9ca2f37323216b9.jpg

On 4/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, BadgerDave said:

Prices on Custom Shop Reissue LPs are tanking.  Check the sold prices on eBay.  58s are well under 3K and 59s are heading in the same direction. There are dozens of unsold RIs on eBay and Reverb with grossly unrealistic asking prices.

I believe the exceptional mahogany was used in the 2003 and 2007 models

To anyone else looking that this thread. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought when I bought mine that I had gotten a good deal, but now the market is flooded and just after a year of my buying mine the prices dropped like a rock. Remember kids, Play what you want but want what you have. I would have spent me money on a brand new Shish before I buy another LP or similar guitar. 

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

To anyone else looking that this thread. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought when I bought mine that I had gotten a good deal, but now the market is flooded and just after a year of my buying mine the prices dropped like a rock. Remember kids, Play what you want but want what you have. I would have spent me money on a brand new Shish before I buy another LP or similar guitar. 

I have to say that these is indeed a true statement but in my case I need to reevaluate my priorities and alter my musical course. For years now I've been buying and selling guitars. Working on guitars. Trying out different styles, shapes, sizes etc. My knowledge of different guitars and pickups etc has improved dramatically but my playing is still basically the same ... which isn't that great. Time to consolidate and concentrate on music, not guitars. 

@Punkavenger, lets not go throwing reality in to the mix. Some fall in love with the guitar more than the playing and some love playing more than the guitar. How many really good players do you know that own 1 or 2 guitars, play every weekend. I know a bunch, and they always want to know what I have and what i'm going for next. They love to follow me on my adventures, but they also know they can play me under the table standing no their heads with a broomstick and piece of twine. In the end we all get each others point of view, I just want someone to get a deal in the end of the day and not watch them throw a chunk out the window then turn around and loose the other chunk when they decided they want something else. 

I for one am in your boat, but I really love the guitar. 

The way I see it, once you buy used ( given, you look for the best possible deal), you never gonna lose. In my few decades of following guitar market, the prices are yet to go down . 
One of few guitars, I regret selling, my BB7 from 03, heavily played, but sounded like no other. Once every few months I try to get her back, but ...didn't succeed  so far. 
BTW, what bothers me the most - lots of sellers, intentionally or not ( i personally think very much intentionally) name their black customs Black Beauty, therefore misleading most buyers. It really bothers me.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, Punkavenger said:

Yeah, all original stuff included ... the seller seems pretty cool and I trust that it is in good shape but a resident expert here informed me that it might be better if I looked for something lighter and made between 2005 to 2007 . Any leads appreciated

I know where one is that weighs in the mid-eights.  It's the best one I've ever played.  Weight is always a top concern with me.  I'll not divulge its whereabouts.  I hope to acquire it someday.

5 minutes ago, The Shark said:

I know where one is that weighs in the mid-eights.  It's the best one I've ever played.  Weight is always a top concern with me.  I'll not divulge its whereabouts.  I hope to acquire it someday.

Damn it, I'm not giving it up! 

Well, it arrived safely ... a f'n miracle because basically the guy just stuck the guitar in the case and the case in the original box with just a thin piece of bubble wrap tossed in as an afterthought. The poor guitar was bouncing around in there the whole way from NYC to SB, CA. He would have been better off just taping a shipping label to the guitar case. Fortunately it was a good case with a foam pillow for the headstock or it would have been broken for sure. A little rougher cosmetically than expected but the darn thing sounds fantastic. Better than all my other dual humbucker guitars, believe it or not, and better than my friends LP Standard that I'm borrowing, thank Gawd, because I never would have heard the end of that. Even if it does have the less than fabulous Burstbucker 1&2 pickups in place. I might not even have to change the pickups out. A miracle indeed. And the R60 neck is perfect, once again, Thank Gawd, because neck size and shape is a dealmaker/breaker. All and all I'm happy but, Dang ... that was expensive   :)

Archived