Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Black beauty!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

Even if it does have the less than fabulous Burstbucker 1&2 pickups in place.

Forum nonsense! Nothing wrong with BB 1&2 - they're excellent PAFs. 

That looks great!  

Very weird that the guy with an expensive guitar like that doesn't make the connection to pack it

safely.   but glad it got there in one piece.              

30 minutes ago, DaveL said:

That looks great!  

Very weird that the guy with an expensive guitar like that doesn't make the connection to pack it

safely.   but glad it got there in one piece.              

I thought it was weird too ... but then a amp I also bought on Reverb was also packed badly ... and it came from a actual music store. Maybe we are just used to the conscientious members of the HFC. Safe here in our little bubble! 

On 4/30/2018 at 5:46 PM, JustKid said:

Didn't you say Black Beauty or did I miss something? This one looks like G0  

Ok soooo ... I'm obviously new to this Gibson Historic reissue game only becoming interested a week or two ago . What does "GO" stand for? I tried looking it up online but no dice. And how do you pronounce RO?  I know it stands for "reissue 60" but do you say R "O" like in the letter O, or R Zero like in the # zero? R ought? Saying R60 makes more sense to me but evidently that's not proper Gibson lingo. 

Thanks everyone for your input ... I am truly a novice when it comes to world of the hysterical reissue. After reading a few pages on some LP forums I understand why HR owners are so often made fun of. Most comments are of some trivial nature regarding pointers, or color or burst or some other minor cosmetic issue. Oh yes, the truss rod condom, Thank you Stike for bringing that up. Its a shame because these are (at least mine is) great guitars that deserve to be played the snot out of.

Anyway, heres what I found out about the color bleed. Its because of the cherry pore filler that was used to be historically accurate. It bleeds into the lacquer top coat. Lacquer is much hotter than pore filler (oil based) so it leaches out the color. During reading through a few threads some say it goes away if you play the the guitar a lot. Some say it gets worse if you play it a lot. One guy said he just took it to a guitar refinisher and he fixed it BOOM simple easy peezy no problem by stripping the binding and respraying the clear. The two guitar refinishers I called said it was a very difficult fix and it would never go away. The one refinisher said some counterfeiters actually paint the binding red because everyone knows the reissues bleed. There was a story on one forum where a guy took his reissue to a TANNING BOOTH 4 times to fade the red from the binding. Can you imagine doing that? I would rather masturbate in public. Another guy taped off his entire guitar except for the binding and left it out in the sun for a few days. That doesn't sound like a good idea.  Anyway, the guy I jam with came over and he liked it and said that it makes it look old. I admit when you walk into my living room it looks like a old LP the the Allman bros might have played back in the day. That's good enough for me ... time to toss my OCD tendencies to the wind and play some fucking guitar. Can I get a FUCK YEAH???!!!   :) 

Archived