Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Corsa Guitars

"Most authentic Peter Green Tone", for an extra $20 you get some Smoke and a Mirror. I'm so done with the dog and pony shows, touting the best of vintage guitar sounds available. Boy its been done, dead, beating and repeated. I realize it is a selling point to get the attention of the "Sheep", and a double edge sword, huge mountain to clime, jumping off the cliff if you don't do it ,but I have respect for those to don't. 

My name is Shawn Soens, I go by bubs because it was a childhood nickname, I spend crazy amounts of time chasing tone to avoid my real responsibilities. If you didn't put in your 10,000 hrs learning your instrument,  no guitar, amp, pedal, pickup, string, pick, will let you overcome the fact the you just SUCK! 

Like maybe I should have spent a little more time learning to spell or at least proof read my posts. 

7 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

If you didn't put in your 10,000 hrs learning your instrument,  no guitar, amp, pedal, pickup, string, pick, will let you overcome the fact the you just SUCK! 

Why you gotta hurt me?

Some cool looking stuff there.
I don't know anything about the brand, but this looks like something I could get behind.

LD0418-3a.jpg

However...

...a typo on the Website's main menu?
Never a good sign

Untitled.jpeg

I had owned one of the Manalishi Guitars.  It was really light(weight relieved) and had a almost 335 sound.  The pickups were really good (not unlike an early hamer).It did have Brazilian Rosewood fretboard which beautiful and the only quibble I had with it was the fret ends were kinda sharp.  I ultimately sold for a Nik Huber Krautster II which I felt was in a similar vain.

Corsa_lefty.jpg

I was familiar with the Corsa Guitars (and Gibson LP Conversions) but haven’t played or owned one. He is also the guy that sells Faber USA parts. I’ve posted the link to his sales here occasionally and spoken to him on the phone before, seems like a nice guy.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, bubs_42 said:

If you didn't put in your 10,000 hrs learning your instrument,  no guitar, amp, pedal, pickup, string, pick, will let you overcome the fact the you just SUCK! 

I agree with what you said in spirit, but I hate that ridiculous statistic that Malcolm Gladwell popularized. That guy is like a dynamo for shitty business aphorisms. If it turned out that he was the fount from which all motivational poster bromides were sprang, I'd be not shocked at all. 

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3027564/scientists-debunk-the-myth-that-10000-hours-of-practice-makes-you-an-expert

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I agree with what you said in spirit, but I hate that ridiculous statistic that Malcolm Gladwell popularized. That guy is like a dynamo for shitty business aphorisms. If it turned out that he was the fount from which all motivational poster bromides were sprang, I'd be not shocked at all. 

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3027564/scientists-debunk-the-myth-that-10000-hours-of-practice-makes-you-an-expert

Having read all of Gladwell's books, I think it's only fair to point out that what he was saying was not that practicing something for 10,000 hours makes you an expert, but that the experts in a given field happen to have 10,000 hours of practice in that field.

A subtle difference, but worth pointing out.

32 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Having read all of Gladwell's books, I think it's only fair to point out that what he was saying was not that practicing something for 10,000 hours makes you an expert, but that the experts in a given field happen to have 10,000 hours of practice in that field.

That was my interpretation, as well. 

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

Actually, I'll give him even more credit. He's said that he threw out the 10,000 hour thing mostly as a way to say expertise takes work and that the specific figure isn't all that important.  And if he'd written it like that, I wouldn't care really.  But I feel that is only walking things back under pressure as he leaned pretty damned heavily on the work of Anders Ericsson, which itself leans pretty heavy on the idea of it taking 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to make an expert.  And, yes, Ericsson says that is what it took to make an expert, not that all will be an expert.  But there are plenty of studies that show while the number of hours spent working on a skill is indeed important, they also a poor predictor of when someone becomes proficient and/or how proficient they are and matter greatly by the field.  For expertise in games, music, and sports, and it mattered quite a bit, explaining 26%, 21%, and 18% of the variance in performance respectively.  It didn't even hit 1% of explaining business performance though.  Gladwell's books typically are aimed at the business/tech crowd, and it would seem that this whole idea carries the least water for its intended audience. 

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797614535810

https://scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Macnamara-et-al.-2014.pdf

That study linked above links to a meta-analysis of 88 performance studies that kind of rips apart Ericsson's research.  And Ericsson himself hedges a bit, pointing out in a later interview that international champion pianists average about 25,000 hours of deliberate practice, but that other experiments have trained people to expertise in as little as 500 hours of deliberate practice.  

Anyway, so Gladwell writes pop psyche in which he takes anecdotes from other researchers, constructs post hoc explanations, and sells them to the business crowd.  Fine, it's not the end of the world. 

But Gladwell's stuff has a nasty habit of trickling back into social science classes and taught as truth by, I guess, professors who want to look up to speed with the popular intellectual flavors-of-the-day.  Don't get me wrong, there are definitely grains of truth within his books, it's just that he takes them way too far in extrapolating meaning.  If you want to use books like Outliers or The Tipping Point as points of departure for picking apart the ideas to test whether they are supported, they are great for training future researchers.  But teaching them as settled science is pretty lazy on the part of any social scientist doing it.  That's the nature of my beef with Gladwell, which is probably an outcome of a greater beef with people who should know better taking his work way too seriously.  It's pop psyche popcorn that's interesting for discussion but shouldn't be taken all that seriously.

This article by Jim Taylor actually does an excellent job of explaining my own experience of falling in and out of love with Gladwell and why, even though I don't hate him, I do find something deceptive about what he does. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-power-prime/201406/so-what-makes-malcolm-gladwell-such-expert

None of which @bubs_42 actually did.  However, my weekend plans melted down, and it's either take threads here on weird tangents or go deal with my lawn at this point. 😄

Gladwell may not be Einstein or Freud, @LucSulla, but his work isn't as disposable as your review reads.
He does his research and explains it in a way that the layman (Me) can understand it, and that's no easy task.

ETA: Only on the HFC, by the way, can a question about a guitar company tangent into a modern literature discussion.
I love this place.

48 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Gladwell may not be Einstein or Freud, @LucSulla, but his work isn't as disposable as your review reads.
He does his research and explains it in a way that the layman (Me) can understand it, and that's no easy task.

That's a seriously big problem among academics.  I actually think the ole "ivory tower" has a lot of useful ideas, but we do a shit job at communicating them back to the public.  For instance, my field has been studying "fake news" since around 2010, give or take, and a lot of what was predicted happened.  But even a bunch of so-called "communications scholars" suck at communicating it.  I'm on a rather large committee that is supposed to be doing things with big data, but getting all the engineers, computer scientists, and hard sciences folks to take seriously trying to get the public in in the loop feels like an uphill battle sometimes. 

Perhaps what we should do with guys like Gladwell on my end is focus more on what makes his work accessible.   I don't really look at that audience as the laity,  but the fact that perception still exists says a lot about how poor a job we do of putting everyone in the loop.  

It’s also important to note that the most determining factor in any area of expertise is “directed” or “deliberate” practice.

Meaning structured and sequential.

Joshua Waitzkin has a lot to say on the subject. After becoming a world renowned chess champion and subject of the movie “Searching for Bobby Fischer” he went on to also become a world champion martial artist in push hands competition.

So, I got the Corsa Little Dog yesterday. Absolutely the lightest guitar I have ever owned. 5 pounds 14 ounces. I restrung it and it sounds great. I really like the tone options this thing has. I will post a review once I get used to it and have a few more hours of playing time on it.

6 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I have to ask: How would you describe its acoustic voice? 

I once considered buying one, but it never did speak to me.

Archived