Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Fairly New Hamer USA owner '88 Californian Custom

1foggy

Hello All,

Always wanted a Hamer, ever since I played a Steve Stevens model that someone owned back in the late 80's.   I never got my hands on one until Christmas of last year.   My wife knew that I wanted this Hamer after I played it in a guitar store and she bought it for me for Christmas.  It's an '88 USA Californian Custom.   It's unique in that it has 3 single coil Bill Lawrence OBD's.   Ebony board.   The Hamer case still had the tag in it that says it's a GCAC-B Custom.  Haven't seen another with this pickup configuration.  It's the best playing guitar I own...

EDIT - Added another pic below...

25591739_755772464621663_3603440950137184500_n.jpg

Hamer CA Custom.jpg

Thanks, burning!   I really don't know much about the guitar's history.  I bought it from a guy that works at a nice independent guitar shop and he says that he's had it for some time but never played it because he has a $3k Parker that he's in love with.   I think I probably got a pretty good deal on it ($1,699 with original Hamer marked case).   The frets look almost unplayed, it's in incredible condition.   I posted it on another guitar group I belong to and someone suggested this group to me...

Just now, 1foggy said:

Thanks, burning!   I really don't know much about the guitar's history.  I bought it from a guy that works at a nice independent guitar shop and he says that he's had it for some time but never played it because he has a $3k Parker that he's in love with.   I think I probably got a pretty good deal on it ($1,699 with original Hamer marked case).   The frets look almost unplayed, it's in incredible condition.   I posted it on another guitar group I belong to and someone suggested this group to me...

You did good!

18 minutes ago, 1foggy said:

I posted it on another guitar group I belong to and someone suggested this group to me...

If it was the All 80's Rocking Guitars on FB- it likely was me ;) 

THAT was a score!

Welcome to the board! 

Wow, yeah, I'm not sure I have ever seen one of those in person.  

I have notice lately the new introductions has really upped the game with posting pictures of their Hamers very nice touch.

best wishes,

Hamerica

Okay, every time I get an axe that's new to me I do a complete breakdown to (A) learn a bit more about her, and (B) fix any imperfections/make adjustments/clean rust/etc.

So I started taking her apart while I'm watching Aussie Rules fooball and having a beer (go Port Adelaide!).   Removed the neck and found out it's a mahogany body.  I'd lightly suspected it, but it was confirmed when I was backing out the neck screws and saw the reddish wood.   The neck is marked "NL", not sure what that means, maybe the guy that made the neck?  No shim underneath, naturally tight pocket. 

The Floyd Rose says "Made in Germany" on the back, so it must be a Schaller-made Floyd.  The Floyd is in excellent condition, really clean edges, just the typical mild surface rust starting in a couple of screws/heads.  Am going to clean and oil the screws for the FR tomorrow.  Between the trem edges and the fairly clean frets I'm starting to think this girl hasn't been played much in her 30 year existence.

Will finish cleaning her tomorrow.  Need to clean the previous owner's sweat off that gorgeous ebony board, do a light buff on the body to get some swirling out, clean and repaint the screw heads for the pickups (rusting), then do a reassemble.

Hamer Californian 6.jpg

Hamer Pocket.jpg

Archived