Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NOGD - Pepto Pink Paisley Tele Score!!!!!!

Well first of all, I really need for you guys to assure me that this guitar is "MANLY" enough to

play in a redneck or biker bar.

Yesterday I found this very loud '85 Fender MIJ  '69 Reissue Pink Paisley Tele at one of my regular stop pawnshops for a really good price.

It came with a period correct 80's Fender Embossed USA road case, which was a nice little bonus.

As far as I can tell the guitar is all original except for the EMG's that are in it right how. and I'll be pulling those here pretty quickly.

I'm really amazed how great a shape this guitar is in for being 33 yrs. old. I hardly has any marks on it at all and you'd have to look pretty hard to find any.

I'm assuming who ever owned it played it for a very short period before sticking it under the bed or a closet for most of its life.

The neck on this guitar feels amazing and it's not a really heavy guitar at all.

I'm going to be spending some time on youtube researching possible replacements.

Anyway, here's some pics of my PPPT guitar:

27026874577_7ffe2a3453_b.jpg

41178120404_e0c48e60fe_b.jpg

41178167474_5ae9a85c3c_c.jpg

41895190291_d0d0fd92a2_b.jpg

Nuttin' wrong with pink. As someone here opined a long time ago, "Elvis wouldda loved that one!"

Play it proudly and loudly!

PRS_HB2_AP_Bonnie_Pink_Burst 11.jpg

It's uber cool, Skip. I'd even play it in the kind of dive where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of there alive.

I dig the color scheme, I wish that Fender woulda used something else besides basswood for the bodies, though.  Funny thing is, the Brad Paisley Tele has a Paulownia core sandwiched between a spruce top and back, and that seems to me to be an even softer wood combination than basswood.

29 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

It's uber cool, Skip. I'd even play it in the kind of dive where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of there alive.

Thanks Jon.

That's too funny!!!!

I'm not sure I agree with Kiz  though, as here in my neck of the woods, the rednecks and bikers kinda stay within their own.

I'm sure there's a little overlap, but not much.

I'm not sure which group would be more tolerant ,and which group I rather try to defend the guitar with.

Either way, I'm not sure I'll have to find out any time soon.

2 minutes ago, mudshark said:

Rockabilly cats wore pink as a statement they were man enough to wear anything they damn well wanted to wear.

You're probably right, but I bet those that did were big huge burly men who would have no problem defending themselves.

Sometimes guitars like this can be very polarizing,but I'm sure that was the whole reason they were made in the 1st place.

You want attention, then you got it, and everything positive or negative that goes with it.

Me & my old friend Tina:

zgtGaHS.jpg

We told Tina back in '85 that she should buy one of those paisley Teles that Fender just reissued, 'cuz, you know.... it was pink and she was a girl.  We weren't serious, it was just friendly band teasing.  Tina stumped us by thinking it was cool or awesome or something, and went right out and purchased one.  That MIJ guitar was later lost in a house fire, but her boyfriend surprised her with a CIJ version for her birthday.  The boyfriend passed away unexpected a short time later, so Tina's paisley is  very special guitar to her.

Me?  I have a pink paisley Rat clone,

2OCHyV1.jpg

and a matching Fuzz Rite.

tZNFhAS.jpg

I should add that, although my post above concerns a woman with a paisley Tele, you should not take that to mean I think them unmanly.  I’d rock a paisley if Tina didn’t already have one.  I should probably get a complementary blue floral one.

Very cool score Skip!:) The originals were not very well received back in the day [But then neither were Les Paul "SUNBURSTS"] but they are very expensive to buy now.................. I always thought they looked cool.Congrats on another fine find! Oh BTW not a fan of "Country" music but this guy plays pretty good.;)

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to replace those EMGs.  While I'm not a fan of most EMG pickups, I had a set of those in an MIJ Tele Custom throughout the 80's.  That guitar worked for everything from power pop to punk to a sub-genre we called polkabilly.

As I recall, they were clear, warm and worked well with pedals.

36 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Very cool score Skip!:) The originals were not very well received back in the day [But then neither were Les Paul "SUNBURSTS"] but they are very expensive to buy now.................. I always thought they looked cool.Congrats on another fine find! Oh BTW not a fan of "Country" music but this guy plays pretty good.;)

Thanks Gary.

I guess if there's are contemporary artist today that makes the Pink Paisley guitar acceptable is Brad.

I still think you have have the live chops to pull it off.

I think I'm borderline, so I may have to woodshed a bit before playing out

I think it's perfectly fine to play...especially if your audience is dropping acid. I jest, of course.

Anyhow, there's apparently a science to the psychological effects of color. When DreamWorks SKG first formed in the mid-90's, they invited a group of us studio artists from our company to tour their studio while they were in production on "Prince of Egypt" and they showed us an entire wall filled with color keys for every scene throughout the film. The color pallettes were chosen for the emotional response they wanted the audience to feel in order to correspond to the mood of the scene. It was pretty impressive. 

I caught a news segment on research regarding the psychological effect pink has on men. I won't tell you what they found because I don't know how accurate it was and I wouldn't want to be accused of making things up. It was interesting, to say the least.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:23 AM, kizanski said:

Redundant.

As for the guitar, I LOVE those!

In Alabama there is a stark contrast from redneck bar to biker bar.  If you walked into a redneck bar with your biker gear on, you may be overdressed and considered snooty.

1 hour ago, shankyboy said:

Congrats on the score. I have always wanted a Tele and Strat in both Pink and Blue Paisley. I have yet to find a good deal on those models. 

I like them both as well. Technically speaking, the blue version was a floral motif, not paisley. 

p-18118-c60d11b17959d7efb3b747e7a5cde737

1 hour ago, bigolsparky said:

In Alabama there is a stark contrast from redneck bar to biker bar.  If you walked into a redneck bar with your biker gear on, you may be overdressed and considered snooty.

That's a hoot. I can just visualize such a scene in rural Alabama.

ETA: For those uninitiated to DAC, this is the source of my original quip in response to Skip's awesome score. Of all of DAC's self-absorbed, outlaw-cred-seeking material, this might be my favorite:

Archived