Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1997 HAMER KORINA VECTOR #13 REVERB

5 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

Those were made for Nakao (thus the N).  Japanese distributor 

not the original run.  Might even have the exposed spline in the crotch.  I did that run of bodies

Do you remember the size of this run...ie 01 to 072 ??

I got it from Poe, and Serial got it from me. I don't know who has it now but I'd sure love to keep track of it because it's one of those "one that got away" pieces I could see my self re-acquiring down the road. I think Serial said the same thing about it, so a future bidding war has been foreshadowed LOL.

FYI, in addition to having the exposed crotch spline, the NAMM Vector I/we owned also had the V-shaped string ferrule plate secured to the top of the body with three tiny brass/gold head brads, not small screws like every other korina V I've ever seen. I thought the brads were a kinda cool touch too.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:32 AM, kizanski said:

I just think some people

feel they need to

change something.  

Only every girl I ever dated.......

There are differently more than one with the exposed spline in the crotch.  Those were made in New Hartford around 1997 the same year as original run in Arlington.  Bill Kaman was in the shop and said they can’t be identical to the original run.  I think guitar player ran an article about a V prototype that was found with the exposed spline. Jol wanted me to do that. Since you are glueing end grain to end grain it was a good idea and enough of a change to satisfy Bill

There's one of the Japanese models on Yahoo Japan right now for about $1,500, but it has a repaired headstock break. The seller is new (0 feedback) and has been trying to sell it at that level for months with no luck. I put a $1,200 bid in, but it wasn't enough to get over the reserve. 

This one seems to be #20 of that run (N20) and has an early 1998 serial number. Looks like the Japan run was done immediately following the US run of 72. Here's a pic of the serial number

i-img1200x900-15257734796i1rcy9598.jpg

I believe the Jpns run was considerably smaller than the 72 or so from the LE run.

Reverb seller N13 emailed me said he considered the neck was slim and guitar had the biscuit spline in the crotch. He purchased it 6 years ago thru  Ishibashi Music for $1900 and shipped to USA. I suggested he change his ad to reflect it was made for export ect and is not part of the limited series.  He is interested in knowing the size of the run.

"The Book" states that "only 72 Korina Vectors were made based on available korina supplies".  Where did the wood come from to create at least 20 Korina Vees for the Japanese market rather than complete the 100 unit plan for the US market?

8 minutes ago, Amplodyte said:

"The Book" states that "only 72 Korina Vectors were made based on available korina supplies".  Where did the wood come from to create at least 20 Korina Vees for the Japanese market rather than complete the 100 unit plan for the US market?

They were able to find it, apparently, but not in sufficient time to finish the 1996 LE run, so they called it at 72 I'd say.

You'd have to have some sort of appreciation for just exactly how picky Hamer always was with their wood.  They paid extra to get the best and also to get first crack at the good stuff from their key suppliers.  The stuff that they rejected regularly went to PRS, GCS, etc. as their "10 Top" and "5A" woods.  On a factory drop-by well over a dozen year ago, I personally saw a bunch of Korina boards that looked amazing to me...but they had rejected them and were sending along the way.  Seriously tough grading, and very high standards.

As far as the later run for Nakao, I'm sure that the Jpns distributor paid a premium and that the wood just became avaiable at a later date, maybe from a new supplier.

Mike or Bob could probably set the record straight on that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 4:52 PM, kizanski said:

Wow... From @edgar_allan_poe to @Jeff R to @serial to @cynic to @Citrus...

Anyone else?

Not entirely sure if this is “the one” but it mos def has a biscuit in the crotch. Pickups are WB Gregwind's. These are the only pics I have at the moment as the guitar is at my tech’s shop getting a setup done. I’ll post a few more when I get it back. 

1CE9D7D4-1400-4CA4-BFAD-F1330F52F472.jpeg

On 5/6/2018 at 10:19 AM, merlin4 said:

Mine is #52 ! Does look like a nice one.

Raise your hand if you have ever seen a "not so nice" Hamer Korina Vector.  Finding a bad one is like capturing Sasquatch.

Sasquatch Unplugged

maxresdefault.jpg

Cheers🍻

caddie

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Not entirely sure if this is “the one” but it mos def has a biscuit in the crotch. These are the only pics I have at the moment as the guitar is at my tech’s shop getting a setup done. I’ll post a few more when I get it back. 

I would imagine all any of the former owners need to see is the biscuit itself to know.

4 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I would imagine all any of the former owners need to see is the biscuit itself to know.

Hopefully this helps... I'll post a better pic once I get it back from my tech. 

2000_Hamer Korina Vector.jpg

Confirming for all interested that @citrus was indeed the gent who sold me this lovely beast. From my recollection it was built in 2000. 

On 5/7/2018 at 5:32 AM, kizanski said:

I just think some people

feel they need to

change something.  

yep, ya got a put your own stank on it.  Mine was remove the steel tuner buttons and put on either ebony or "Mother of Toilet Seat" pearly, swirly plastic.  btw doubtful that the "ebony" tuner buttons were actually ebony.  I had a Newport Pro Custom with the crown markers.  Removed steel "art-deco" style buttons put ebony art-deco buttons to visually  match the ebony fingerboard.  Then after looking at it for awhile they got switched to the Mother of Toilet Seat buttons to match the crown inlay.  Much more stylish.   The price of being stylish at ALLPARTS was $42.  Inspector Callahan has a different definition of beinf stylish.

Got my Vector back from my tech this afternoon and took a c/u pic. 

IMG_3650.thumb.jpg.4a6f75099f96c4ec036baa613435f5cf.jpg

Archived