Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Builder Recommendations

Awright, I have one last 🙄 custom build in mind and I don't wanna wait the 2+ years for J/C CS build. Looking for a builder that knows 80's style shredders. Fairly straight forward bolt-on DK build BUT it has to have a Strat head, not some variation on it to avoid trademark infringement. And a Warmoth or a MightyMite parts-o-caster isn't an  option.

Who ya got? 

2 hours ago, RobB said:

Can’t the Burrito guy make one without a logo?

Yeah, but he's not keen on doing maple boarded necks with involved inlays.

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

What are you doing on this board, "Selections From The Kama Sutra"?

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Then have him make the neck and sub-contract it out to an inlay artist. Jeez, do I have to think of everything around here?

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That graphic has already been done, on a body at least. Original ESP NYC/48th Street graphic on this Mirage ...

29594404_10214153057233001_3331311920464

Probably the only one guitar wifes approve.

Btw. Did you check if the graphics is complete?

8 hours ago, RobB said:

Then have him make the neck and sub-contract it out to an inlay artist. Jeez, do I have to think of everything around here?

I'd prefer that you didn't.

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Suffice it to say: more than just dots. Beyond that, he's not real enthused about tackling anything more sophisticated than dots at this time. I respect his honesty. And despite RobB's kind attempt at trying to second guess my preferences re: building, I'm trying to minimize sub-contracting.

I have zero experience with this builder, but I've been eyeing up Sully Guitars. http://www.sullyguitars.com/

His 624 model guitar makes me feel tingly.  http://www.sullyguitars.com/624/ 

It seems they are a small outfit, so they might be flexible in doing custom work...?

OR maybe Texas Toast?? https://www.texastoastguitars.com/about

23 minutes ago, RobB said:

Holy CRAP!!! This dude's blog is totally manic, I am effing LMAO ovah heah!

"I don't just build guitars, I build a lifestyle."    I've heard something like that before...

1 hour ago, FrettyMcgee said:

I have zero experience with this builder, but I've been eyeing up Sully Guitars. http://www.sullyguitars.com/

His 624 model guitar makes me feel tingly.  http://www.sullyguitars.com/624/ 

It seems they are a small outfit, so they might be flexible in doing custom work...?

OR maybe Texas Toast?? https://www.texastoastguitars.com/about

Pretty sure that Sully is only doing HIS headstocks.  He's got a brand that's doing well, and gaining steam - he's not going to do a Fender headstock or anything like that.

Stike has done some finish work for him, and he's got some cool stuff cooking...

5 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Pretty sure that Sully is only doing HIS headstocks.  He's got a brand that's doing well, and gaining steam - he's not going to do a Fender headstock or anything like that.

Stike has done some finish work for him, and he's got some cool stuff cooking...

This. /\

I'm just curious: are places these days going to flat out copy Fender's headstock?  Didn't they sue a couple places for that?  Maybe get something from Charvel or Jackson and have the inlay work done elsewhere?  

2 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I'm just curious: are places these days going to flat out copy Fender's headstock?  Didn't they sue a couple places for that?  Maybe get something from Charvel or Jackson and have the inlay work done elsewhere?  

Apparently, based on the volume of responses to my soliciting a Strat head Dinky build, the fear of lawsuits doesn't seem to be a concern. I did contact a J/C dealer and while build times for custom orders are WAY down, neither will do exactly what I want. Fuqqum.

For the moment Shane looks to be the man and I definitely know and marvel at his skillz....

4 hours ago, from my fingers said:

If you have the $ Scott Lentz  can make what ever you want, he is a master builder.

I've already had someone submit an estimate/quote for an obscene amount of money. So, just curious- what does $ constitute?

8 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Apparently, based on the volume of responses to my soliciting a Strat head Dinky build, the fear of lawsuits doesn't seem to be a concern. I did contact a J/C dealer and while build times for custom orders are WAY down, neither will do exactly what I want. Fuqqum.

For the moment Shane looks to be the man and I definitely know and marvel at his skillz....

Since Fender owns Jackson and they already have the Phil Collen model with the Fender headstock, I wouldn't think that'd be a big issue for them.  

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

Since Fender owns Jackson and they already have the Phil Collen model with the Fender headstock, I wouldn't think that'd be a big issue for them.  

Yeah, go figure. There's no accounting for the logic or reason that guises that policy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, from my fingers said:

north of 5k

giphy.gif

Archived