Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Eddie Van Halen in Bad Shape

There used to be a YouTube video of Ed playing with a keyboardist at a backyard party. Long, scraggly hair, rotten gums/missing teeth, dressed like a bum with his shoes held together with gaffers tape. It was shocking! This was the time period (I think) when he was drinking two bottles of Chiraz a day, according to Sammy’s book. Really sad. 

He was guzzling Smoking Loon wine....it must have been more than just two bottles a day....he looked soooooo bad....

It’s in the Steven Pearcy (ratt) book.  (Actually a pretty good read but I got it cheap like 4 bucks).   Eddie was Steven’s neighbor,  they were friendly from the early days.   He used to stash his booze in Stevens house to hide it from Valerie but then it became a problem if Steven wasn’t home so he stashed it in a shrub.    The biggest rock star in the world in your shrubs.     

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

It’s in the Steven Pearcy (ratt) book.  (Actually a pretty good read but I got it cheap like 4 bucks).   Eddie was Steven’s neighbor,  they were friendly from the early days.   He used to stash his booze in Stevens house to hide it from Valerie but then it became a problem if Steven wasn’t home so he stashed it in a shrub.    The biggest rock star in the world in your shrubs.     

Back in the day, there were a lot of women who'd like to have EVH rummaging around in their bushes.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:50 PM, gtrdaddy said:

I saw him at NAMM in Anaheim 2011. He looked pretty ragged. Kind of comical looking like that surrounded by his entourage. They came through at night after most everyone cleared out but us merchants, that is those of us still at our booths.

We saw him in either 2002 or 2004 at NAMM, and that was in his taped shoes and meth teeth stage.  If it wasn't for the entourage, I wouldn't have recognized him when he walked by.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:48 AM, cmatthes said:

We saw him in either 2002 or 2004 at NAMM, and that was in his taped shoes and meth teeth stage.  If it wasn't for the entourage, I wouldn't have recognized him when he walked by.

I remember being at the Peavey booth at the NAMM convention with my friends from the Bay Area, waiting for Eddie to show up to do an amp demo, play some music, and it was complete mob scene with a huge crowd of people there. He showed up late, played very briefly, and basically ran out of the booth after he was done. I wouldn't have wanted to see him if he looked like that. 

Guitar George

Archived