Hamer Fan Club Message Center

All 214 Artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Ranked From Best to Worst

9 minutes ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

Cheap Trick at #107...  Not too shabby!  Of course, I'd have them in the top 100 but YMMV... 😎

All I need to know about the list without having read it that it's bullshit.  

If there are 214 artists on the list, Cheap Trick is #497.  

10 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

Queen next to last?

Pfft

A sentiment echoed and endorsed by Wenner, I'm sure. On the entertainment desk at the college newspaper we had a reference book of Rolling Stone album reviews. Every Queen release got one star our of four or five. I remember being shocked at the level of disdain for them.

Obviously, Alice Cooper should be higher, Paul Simon should be lower, Randy Newman should be absent and the Ramones are just about right.

Without looking at the list I can already tell it will not be something for me to agree with.  Those lists are always one person's opinion, or voted on more heavily by one age group than another.  The influential artists get overlooked in favor of who was the best marketed. 

imdb.com used to have a somewhat useful list of the best movies of all time, but in recent years the latest "blockbuster" movies seen by people in their teens and twenties have been voted up in the top 250 movies of all time. 

15 hours ago, Lockbody said:

Queen next to last?

Pfft

They're lucky they got in at all, as evidenced by this quote from the Bowie writeup. Pffft indeed. Where are my girly men in glittery outfits?

"Note that, besides the undeniable Bowie and cuddly Elton John, the hall has been very wary of the effete and glam side of rock — no Todd Rundgren, no Dolls, no Mott, no Roxy Music, no Pet Shop, no Marc Bolan, and stretching all the way to the Smiths and Joy Division — while just about every hirsute assemblage of spandexed wankers from that era and every one since have been ushered right in. It’s obvious that the hall has “issues.” "

Edited to add:   Not that there's anything wrong with a spandexed wanker.

32 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

We can don loin cloths, wield K-bars, and jump into The Pit of Final Determination to decide the appropriate postioning of these many esteemed acts, but I'm pretty sure all of us can reach accord that not only does Bon Jovi not belong on this chart, but their performance at their inauguration flat out sucked so bad

Why exactly does Bon Jovi not belong on this list? Serious question, BTW.

Assuming the main criticism is the band's music isn't substantive enough, how is it less so than Frankie and the Teenagers? 

If it's about influence, how is Bon Jovi less influential than, say, Steve Miller?

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

We can don loin cloths, wield K-bars, and jump into The Pit of Final Determination to decide the appropriate postioning of these many esteemed acts, but I'm pretty sure all of us can reach accord that not only does Bon Jovi not belong on this chart, but their performance at their inauguration flat out sucked so bad

Sambora seemed to play his parts well and he sure grabbed the 80s tone! JBJ didn’t age as well if that performance is indicative. His vocals sounded so very flat. Everything else sounded fine. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

They're not, The whole RRHF institution is a corporate circle-jerk fiasco, with expensive parking and dusty artifacts .

All the more reason to include Bon Jovi, eh?

Archived