Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Everybody Wants Some!

That is the greatest claymation sequence in the history of film.  Of course I didn't realize until years later that it was a Van Halen Song, as the only Van Halen that mattered to me was 1984, which was for decades the only album I had.

But, yes, EVERYBODY WANTS SOME, and I WANT SOME TOO.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, kizanski said:

His "regret" over chopping up an Ibanez always caught me square in the funny bone.

Most people who bought them at the time regretted not being able to afford the Gibson.

That may well be true, but I went through 3 Gibson ES-175s before I got a '78 FA-100 Ibanez copy, and I've had that over 30 years now with no complaints. 

9 minutes ago, jim777 said:

That may well be true, but I went through 3 Gibson ES-175s before I got a '78 FA-100 Ibanez copy, and I've had that over 30 years now with no complaints. 

And that has what to do with Ibanez Destroyers made out of pine?

37 minutes ago, kizanski said:

But aren’t pine bodied Teles super tone machines full of vibe and mojo, why not an Explorer copy?

3 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

That is the greatest claymation sequence in the history of film.  Of course I didn't realize until years later that it was a Van Halen Song, as the only Van Halen that mattered to me was 1984, which was for decades the only album I had.

1984? Little late to the party there, tbone. 

54 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Just defending those poor old 70's Ibby copies :) And I believe they were made from Sen, which is also sometimes called Japanese Ash. I don't know how close to non-Japanese ash that would be though ;)

48 minutes ago, Stike said:

But aren’t pine bodied Teles super tone machines full of vibe and mojo...?

I don't know. Are they?
Let me ask the Gear Page...

On 5/14/2018 at 2:14 PM, HAMERMAN said:

Am I the only one bothered by the Strat style headstock on the Frankenstein guitar? I know Eddie had many variations of everything and I think the guitar started out with a Strat neck (or at least a mity-mite Strat replacement neck) but for me the iconic Frankenstein guitar has a matching banana headstock!

Yes. 😄

I also love the banana head stock (would've preferred reversed, of course ) but there's something primal about the Strat head. Eddie's bag was modding existing axes and the Strat was one of his first and arguably his most iconic. Hell, it practically gave birth to Charvel's entire line of San Dimas Strats.

1 hour ago, RobB said:

1984? Little late to the party there, tbone. 

Well, In my defense, I was 5 when 1984 came out. I didn't exactly have the means to really start my VH collection until later, and due to being part of the music video generation, I mainly was exposed to Hot for Teacher, and Jump. For me, that WAS van halen.

15 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Well, In my defense, I was 5 when 1984 came out. I didn't exactly have the means to really start my VH collection until later, and due to being part of the music video generation, I mainly was exposed to Hot for Teacher, and Jump. For me, that WAS van halen.

Oh. Oops. 

I fixed it though, I now have all the DLR Era early stuff... except WTF is up with Diver Down being out of print???  I have been looking for a while and can't find it except on ebay.

I'm also struggling to find stuff that hasn't been REMASTERED to sound good on crappy speakers.

6 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I've yet to see somebody add the Sharpie "X"s to the back of the neck, like Eddie does, so he can orient the 5th & 12th under intermittent stage lighting. He also used to write little messages (seemingly in some personal code) on the back of the neck, as well.

I  have never seen anyone replicate that.

Never heard of that one, you seen any pix you can share?

I want to share them on the EVH Frankenstein Fanboi page, just to set off a frenzy of a hundred freaks freaking out trying to get their shit EXACTLY right.

55 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Never heard of that one, you seen any pix you can share?

I want to share them on the EVH Frankenstein Fanboi page, just to set off a frenzy of a hundred freaks freaking out trying to get their shit EXACTLY right.

200w.gif

On 5/15/2018 at 11:36 AM, RobB said:

It’s so funny to me that a custom guitar industry was born outta the influence of Ed’s guitars. They were such junk! Pedals attached to his board with gaffers tape, etc. 

Sobering point, but what made it compelling is that he built a guitar that the wasn't commercially available at the time. While crude as shit, it did exactly what he wanted, spawned the super Strat segment, and certainly influenced a young Floyd Rose to design the locking vibrato system that dominated the industry. 

Randy Hansen and Brad Gillis had more R&D input to Floyd’s bridge than Ed, initially. I remember Floyd’s, “aha-moment”, was when a guitarist said, “if I ever get this guitar in tune, I’ll have it welded!” 

Archived