Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Toadroller

Everybody Wants Some!

On 5/12/2018 at 10:50 AM, veatch said:

What bothered me was the backwards wammy bar...

Still like that movie, BTW. So many quotable lines. 

That always bugged me too,  but because there was no whammy on that guitar, but that they didn't realize that it was the route for the toggle switch.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 1:31 PM, Ed Rechts said:

I am familiar with that site, and the quarter thing has made me chuckle.

But c'mon, Jeff, you rendered a functional guitar there. That is an excellent display of your talents, and I applaud you for the work. You should showcase that one.

I'll ask ya this, would you dedicate your reputation and assign your name to rendering an EVH Shark, knowing full well that it was tonally fucked? Without a disclaimer, like those plastic surgeons that add a superfluous nipple or a forehead penis to some monied nutbag with a fetish? Methinks, (I hope) NOT.

Most of these guitars have to be conversation pieces, unless you're in a tribute band. If you're winging that Frankenstrat, and boor the fuck outta anyone about it's level to perfected detail, you better to be able to play every fucking nuanced riff from the first 5 albums AT LEAST if you are gonna call yourself anything more than a collector.

These fanboi indulges fall under the "shut up and play" category for me, if you'll excuse the surliness. 

I'd personally love to have one and play, I don't know...all Beatles, the Jam, or The Knack covers...and then post videos of that on a die-hard page and sit back and wait for the reactions.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

Am I the only one bothered by the Strat style headstock on the Frankenstein guitar? I know Eddie had many variations of everything and I think the guitar started out with a Strat neck (or at least a mity-mite Strat replacement neck) but for me the iconic Frankenstein guitar has a matching banana headstock!

IIRC, the original Frankenstein guitar never got fitted with a banana headstock neck. He had a Kramer beak neck on it during the 1984 era and then it seems he retired it in favor of the 5150 build and similar single humbucker copies. I am pretty sure he had it "restored" to a Strat head in the '90s. I do know that his 5150 build had a banana headstock when Ed assembled it. 

There was this ad, but I always thought this was a Franky copy, not the original. If I am incorrect, Jeffro will surely chime in and set the record straight img_0?1180226607

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

ETA: This early '90s era photo would suggest I am wrong, but I honestly never realized Ed even played Franky in the studio during his EBMM tenure. c6da1f4f3aebae53847d806229edf5a9.jpg

Edited by Biz Prof

That ad above is a Frankie copy. Ed had several Frankie copies, different tunings, backups for gigs, chasing different things via different woods, different pickups, different trems. They were Charvel bodies, Kramer bodies, whatever was handy and whatever he was endorsing at that time. Some are here ... http://www.vintagekramer.com/5150f.htm

The real Frankie wore a strat head in most of its incarnations, or a Kramer logo'ed neck in that endorsement era. The link above shows a few versions.

Ed would swap necks for a variety of reasons. Fret wear, flavor of the month, no rhyme or reason. Here it is wearing the black painted neck from the black/yellow Charvel on the cover of VHII. Ed didn't like the B/Y guitar, thought it was too bright tonally, so he bounced the neck over to Frankie around the time Frankie went from BW to RBW. Kept the black head paint, scraped the paint off the neck trunk because he didn't like the feel. I'm pretty sure the original neck was put back on the B/Y prior to him bringing it to Dime's funeral.

Paint_guitar.jpg

7c8f2be2-7273-4b77-899a-795f99f1d56e.JPG

Here's where it wore a Danelectro neck for a VERY brief stint in 1983 for the Brian May Star Fleet project ...

FrankywDanonck.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 11:26 AM, Rockola said:

Truly, a great shame has fallen on the once formidable legend.

Better_off_dead_announcer.png

The once great champion - now a study in moppishness.

I own less than 25 movies - this is one of them.

Edited by tommy p
  • Like 3

It’s so funny to me that a custom guitar industry was born outta the influence of Ed’s guitars. They were such junk! Pedals attached to his board with gaffers tape, etc. 

34 minutes ago, RobB said:

It’s so funny to me that a custom guitar industry was born outta the influence of Ed’s guitars. They were such junk! Pedals attached to his board with gaffers tape, etc. 

...and he totally abused them, as well. It's obvious that he sees his instruments as more functional tool than art piece, bring the irony meter full circle for guys that build and frame these replicas.

One thing  that has always puzzled me about these fanboi home-made EVH Frankenstrats, with intense attention to detail, down to the correct year quarter and the exact formulation of paint, the bicycle reflective lites on back, (which has it's own cottage industry, I think) etc etc, is a small, but odd thing: I've yet to see somebody add the Sharpie "X"s to the back of the neck, like Eddie does, so he can orient the 5th & 12th under intermittent stage lighting. He also used to write little messages (seemingly in some personal code) on the back of the neck, as well.

I  have never seen anyone replicate that.

• Like 3

That is the greatest claymation sequence in the history of film.  Of course I didn't realize until years later that it was a Van Halen Song, as the only Van Halen that mattered to me was 1984, which was for decades the only album I had.

But, yes, EVERYBODY WANTS SOME, and I WANT SOME TOO.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, kizanski said:

His "regret" over chopping up an Ibanez always caught me square in the funny bone.

Most people who bought them at the time regretted not being able to afford the Gibson.

That may well be true, but I went through 3 Gibson ES-175s before I got a '78 FA-100 Ibanez copy, and I've had that over 30 years now with no complaints. 

9 minutes ago, jim777 said:

That may well be true, but I went through 3 Gibson ES-175s before I got a '78 FA-100 Ibanez copy, and I've had that over 30 years now with no complaints. 

And that has what to do with Ibanez Destroyers made out of pine?

37 minutes ago, kizanski said:

But aren’t pine bodied Teles super tone machines full of vibe and mojo, why not an Explorer copy?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

That is the greatest claymation sequence in the history of film.  Of course I didn't realize until years later that it was a Van Halen Song, as the only Van Halen that mattered to me was 1984, which was for decades the only album I had.

1984? Little late to the party there, tbone. 

Edited by RobB
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Just defending those poor old 70's Ibby copies :) And I believe they were made from Sen, which is also sometimes called Japanese Ash. I don't know how close to non-Japanese ash that would be though ;)

Edited by jim777

48 minutes ago, Stike said:

But aren’t pine bodied Teles super tone machines full of vibe and mojo...?

I don't know. Are they?
Let me ask the Gear Page...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/14/2018 at 2:14 PM, HAMERMAN said:

Am I the only one bothered by the Strat style headstock on the Frankenstein guitar? I know Eddie had many variations of everything and I think the guitar started out with a Strat neck (or at least a mity-mite Strat replacement neck) but for me the iconic Frankenstein guitar has a matching banana headstock!

Yes. 😄

I also love the banana head stock (would've preferred reversed, of course ) but there's something primal about the Strat head. Eddie's bag was modding existing axes and the Strat was one of his first and arguably his most iconic. Hell, it practically gave birth to Charvel's entire line of San Dimas Strats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobB said:

1984? Little late to the party there, tbone. 

Well, In my defense, I was 5 when 1984 came out. I didn't exactly have the means to really start my VH collection until later, and due to being part of the music video generation, I mainly was exposed to Hot for Teacher, and Jump. For me, that WAS van halen.

15 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Well, In my defense, I was 5 when 1984 came out. I didn't exactly have the means to really start my VH collection until later, and due to being part of the music video generation, I mainly was exposed to Hot for Teacher, and Jump. For me, that WAS van halen.

Oh. Oops. 

• Haha 2

I fixed it though, I now have all the DLR Era early stuff... except WTF is up with Diver Down being out of print???  I have been looking for a while and can't find it except on ebay.

I'm also struggling to find stuff that hasn't been REMASTERED to sound good on crappy speakers.

6 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I've yet to see somebody add the Sharpie "X"s to the back of the neck, like Eddie does, so he can orient the 5th & 12th under intermittent stage lighting. He also used to write little messages (seemingly in some personal code) on the back of the neck, as well.

I  have never seen anyone replicate that.

Never heard of that one, you seen any pix you can share?

I want to share them on the EVH Frankenstein Fanboi page, just to set off a frenzy of a hundred freaks freaking out trying to get their shit EXACTLY right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Never heard of that one, you seen any pix you can share?

I want to share them on the EVH Frankenstein Fanboi page, just to set off a frenzy of a hundred freaks freaking out trying to get their shit EXACTLY right.

200w.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 11:36 AM, RobB said:

Sobering point, but what made it compelling is that he built a guitar that the wasn't commercially available at the time. While crude as shit, it did exactly what he wanted, spawned the super Strat segment, and certainly influenced a young Floyd Rose to design the locking vibrato system that dominated the industry. 

• Like 1

Randy Hansen and Brad Gillis had more R&D input to Floyd’s bridge than Ed, initially. I remember Floyd’s, “aha-moment”, was when a guitarist said, “if I ever get this guitar in tune, I’ll have it welded!” 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 6:54 PM, kizanski said:

Here you go!

minty-clean.jpg

Haven’t seen that one in a while! 😂🤣😂