Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What attenuators do you like?

I had some time in the house by myself so I cranked the SuperChamp XD and I loved it.  I used to do the same with a Mesa Maverick.  I'm hoping you guys can recommend an attenuator that I can use with the SCXD that can give me the cranked sound without the volume.  I'd appreciate any suggestions you have...

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You want an attenuator for a 15 watt amp?  The cost of a good attenuator will be at least half of the cost of your Super Champ XD. 

Buy a 7 watt amp and enjoy that. 

Even 7 watts is loud.  Too loud for most of the time around here.

I'm not sure what kind of attenuators Mesa/Boogie uses in the Royal Atlantic, but with each channel having its own attenuator, you can't beat the convenience!

It's too bad they discontinued the line; each channel having its own attenuator was a huge selling point for me.

8 hours ago, Rich_S said:

Weber Mini MASS.  

^ This! I have a couple of them and love them. They also drive the tubes a bit more and help to rock the amp. Bought used, I had never had one with an issue. Look out for those having a line out if you want to record or want to connect the amp to a mixer somehow.

21 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You want an attenuator for a 15 watt amp?  The cost of a good attenuator will be at least half of the cost of your Super Champ XD. 

Buy a 7 watt amp and enjoy that. 

A 10 watt valve amp is exactly half the volume of a 100 watt valve amp so even though there is a big difference in numerical value, there is not a big difference in volume! A 7 watt valve amp is almost only half the volume of a 100 watt. You will still need an attenuator to get low volume on a cranked 7 watt...

I only have used an old Weber Mini Mass (50 Watt version) for all my amps. (current Marshall 1974x)

It works, but you the sound lose some dynamic i.m.o

But: protect your ears and no conflict with the neighbors :-)

Another vote for the MiniMASS. I used one for years until I needed more than I moved to a 50 watt MASSLite. I still have the Lite and a Badcat Unleash.

@BubbaVO, i'e been down this worm hole twice. Attenuation works great for knocking some db's off your sound but to actually get that bedroom, talk over your playing yet keep the feel intact is pretty next to impossible. I dig and still dig the Badcat Unleash over the others i'm tried. You can not only go down but up with it and take that little 2 watt amp out and compete with larger amps. Bottom like, nothing sounds like moving air, like moving air. 

Only other suggestion I might have is to turn the MV down on your amp and instead of turning up the gain, smack the front in with an EP Booster or similar pedal. Heck i'm using a Tech 21 10 watter Clean, Fender, Flat Speaker with two Saucy Box pedals with light to medium gain on at the same time. 

GOOD LUCK! 

44 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Attenuation works great for knocking some db's off your sound but to actually get that bedroom, talk over your playing yet keep the feel intact is pretty next to impossible.

It should be obvious that you can't go behind physics. Having 12'' speak bedroom volume clearly doesn't get more than a whisper out of it.

2 minutes ago, gorch said:

It should be obvious that you can't go behind physics. Having 12'' speak bedroom volume clearly doesn't get more than a whisper out of it.

Absoluetly, we always want what we can't have. :) I'm a 10" Speaker Guy, I fought it for a long time, but thats what I like. 

1 minute ago, bubs_42 said:

Absoluetly, we always want what we can't have. :) I'm a 10" Speaker Guy, I fought it for a long time, but thats what I like. 

Yeah, but I think that 10'' are not doing better in bedrooms though.

1 minute ago, gorch said:

Yeah, but I think that 10'' are not doing better in bedrooms though.

10" Greenback over a 12" Greenback would would be surprised. Pair of 8's? The problem is that there is not enough demand for mfg to make 8" versions of 12" speakers. 

This conversation might be a rabbit hole. LOL 

13 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

10" Greenback over a 12" Greenback would would be surprised. Pair of 8's? The problem is that there is not enough demand for mfg to make 8" versions of 12" speakers. 

This conversation might be a rabbit hole. LOL 

You are right sir! I just wanted to backup the argument that attenuators are not the holy grail of power consumption for tube amps if a holy grail ever exists.

I've got a Dr. Z Brake Light, and it works great as far as preserving

sonic integrity.  But it doesn't attenuate enough to suit me for home

studio work...

The Rivera Rock Crusher is really great, but very large and very expensive.

It will get you down to whisper quiet though...

Just a suggestion but grab one of the new Marshall DSL 1watts.  Has a 1/10th watt mode that’s great for practicing when most small watt amps are still too loud.  The amp is probably cheaper than most attenuators.   Most people are surprised how loud even a 1watt amp can be. 

6 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

These posts make me wonder if I should just bag the whole tube thing.  The boss katana seems to be pretty good at delivering tones at bedroom volumes and louder. 

Before you do that; I was building an ambient / worship pedal-board for church and I had an SS amp and a modelling amp and neither sounded right with pedals. I have just gone back to an all-valve combo (Blackstar) after using only SS/modellers for 5 years. I still have my small modelling amp but my SS has gone. Valve just 'does it' for me again...

Swart Night Light is very good to me and my ears. I use it with an 18 watt Dr. Z, usually just on the first setting, but didn't mind the squash a the higher ratings. There's a cool compression option on the first setting too, for any amps below 22 watts. 

The dream (for me) is a Bat Cat Unleash or Fryette Power Station, especially because of the re-amping features Bubs mentioned. But not necessary for those bedroom or basement stadiums ;) 

As for smaller, bedroom level amps with 8" speakers AND some tubes...those Yamaha THR/C, etcs look real appealing to me. Also Hughes & Kettner's (Tube/Grand) Meister series amps are pretty neat. , with their build in attenuators and other such features good for the low volume wood sheddin' 

On May 20, 2018 at 10:15 AM, bubs_42 said:

@BubbaVO, i'e been down this worm hole twice. Attenuation works great for knocking some db's off your sound but to actually get that bedroom, talk over your playing yet keep the feel intact is pretty next to impossible. I dig and still dig the Badcat Unleash over the others i'm tried. You can not only go down but up with it and take that little 2 watt amp out and compete with larger amps. Bottom like, nothing sounds like moving air, like moving air. 

Only other suggestion I might have is to turn the MV down on your amp and instead of turning up the gain, smack the front in with an EP Booster or similar pedal. Heck i'm using a Tech 21 10 watter Clean, Fender, Flat Speaker with two Saucy Box pedals with light to medium gain on at the same time. 

GOOD LUCK! 

This.

Absolute truth here....to include digging the Badcat Unleash.

Archived