Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New revolution in acoustic effects

Dammit you guys. I've been in a bit of a funk lately where I just don't feel like picking up a guitar. So what do I do? Buy one of these things to see if it'll jumpstart my will to live.

I'll let you know how it goes.......

• 2 weeks later...

Got a whole one!

I got rained out in the middle of trimming trees so I went ahead and installed it today on a Taylor 414CE. Installation is pretty straightforward with the aid of step-by-step videos on their website. Took about an hour (including a string change) and I didn't break anything, so that's a plus. The setup is pretty easy once you figure out the buttons.

I can see why acoustic guys would dig these. The effects are OK. Not great, but decent. As an electric player with a pile of toys, I'm spoiled by having some pretty damn good effects to plug into at any time. If acoustic was your main (or only) instrument, this is a pretty clever way of getting reverb, delay, Leslie, tremolo, even autowah and overdrive. It offers a nice variety to the deprived. Parameters are limited, but they did a good job of covering the basics.

The unit itself is....quirky. The dial for choosing effects is a spin-it-'til-you-hit-something affair. You'd expect each notch to be the next effect when in fact it may be 4, 5, 6 clicks away. Maybe mine's wonky, but it's functional so there you go. I wouldn't rely on one as a regular gig toy, but around the house here it'll probably be just fine. It should be better built, considering the price.

One thing they don't mention is the weight. It's not a heavy thing by any means, but when you add it to an otherwise light acoustic guitar it becomes very noticeable, more the weight of an electric. It definitely shifts the balance.

So the thing works as advertised, is just OK to an electric player but might be the cat's ass for a strictly acoustic guy, would be waaaay better if it were $100 cheaper, and made it me play guitar for a while, which was kind of the goal. With time and some tweaking it should get better.

9 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

.....cool in a "curiosity" sort of way......... it didn't overwhelm me......

In a nutshell, exactly.

I’ve not touched an electric for a year so the acoustic is my main I guess plus I only ever noodle around the house. I get my 25 yr work bonus at the end of the month so I’ll be getting one  

cheers

Archived