Hamer Fan Club Message Center

dewey finn

Question

3 minutes ago, dewey finn said:

I don't like the looks of your face.

If you were the intended audience, that would almost interest me.
As it stands, though, that's about as amateurish as that repair attempt.

Makes me wonder what else is wrong with the guitar. And the seller.

11 minutes ago, kizanski said:

If you were the intended audience, that would almost interest me.
As it stands, though, that's about as amateurish as that repair attempt.

Makes me wonder what else is wrong with the guitar. And the seller.

Wow. Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?

It's like I posted on the Gear Page.

6 minutes ago, kizanski said:

What would you pay for the same guitar without a cracked neck?

The guitars on reverb are posted with an asking price of $2500. That's why I was curious as to what the value of a repaired one would be.

Just now, dewey finn said:

Wow. Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?

It's like I posted on the Gear Page.

You can insult my face all you like, but if you liken me to the Gear Page crowd again, we're gonna have a problem.

4 minutes ago, dewey finn said:

The guitars on reverb are posted with an asking price of $2500. That's why I was curious as to what the value of a repaired one would be.

Try searching for "Sold" prices. Asking ain't getting.

Just now, Steve Haynie said:

I expect a 1981 Sunburst with dots to bring around $1500.

Right, so factoring in that a guitar with a properly-repaired headstock brings about 50% of one without a break/crack, you're at $750.
Then factor in that this one is not repaired, it is glued.
Spreading the crack apart, squirting some glue in there and pressing it back together does not constitute a repair, so I'm going to look at its value from the standpoint of it having a broken headstock.

This is a repaired headstock.
Splines routed in perpendicularly to the break, and then shaped to match the existing contour, @BCR Greg-style.

IMG_0162.JPG

Certainly not pretty, but the definition of rock solid. It is literally stronger than before the break.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

You can insult my face all you like, but if you liken me to the Gear Page crowd again, we're gonna have a problem.

Try searching for "Sold" prices. Asking ain't getting.

It's hard to say based on the sold ones because it's not clear if they had a repair or not. ( on reverb )

52 minutes ago, dewey finn said:

It's hard to say based on the sold ones because it's not clear if they had a repair or not. ( on reverb )

You can only hope that the seller was honest enough to include such a crucial detail in his ad, although we've certainly seen enough examples of those who haven't  

Also, it's a lot easier to search for this info on eBay than on Reverb, imo.

If the break was clean putting glue in the wood and clamping it works well.  The wood will not break along the glue line.  Without seeing the original break or knowing the reputation of the repairman you cannot say one way or the other if the repair is solid.  I have a Special with a similar repair that has no problems. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

If the break was clean putting glue in the wood and clamping it works well.  The wood will not break along the glue line.  Without seeing the original break or knowing the reputation of the repairman you cannot say one way or the other if the repair is solid.  I have a Special with a similar repair that has no problems. 

You're making my point for me where glue is concerned.
The reason buying a guitar with a crack (and that one is a substantial one) glued back togather is such a gamble is you can never know how much glue made it into the crack, was it clean when the glue was applied, and what kind of glue was used.
The glue's strength is only one of surface adhesion, so while it might not break along the glue line, I'd be willing to bet that one will. It will certainly give before the wood above or below the break will.  That's why the example that I posted is actually stronger than if it had never broken at all - the glued joint with the splines glued in with opposing wood grains will never break.

38 minutes ago, dewey finn said:

I bought this guitar a little bit ago. The seller disclosed the repair and was local so I was able to look at it. I also have the receipt from the repair shop in the case from the 90's.

By this time we can be sure the repair is going to hold up. 

Not sure why you are looking for a price check if you already bought it???

It is evidently worth what you paid for it...... to you.

You may find out what it's really worth if and when you attempt to re-sell it.

If it's still there after that much time, I think it's fair to say it's a good repair.  Also, what holds the splines in place? GLUE. So, is glue STRONG, or is it WEAK? Because the joint is only going to be as strong as the glue, no matter how the joint is designed.

That said, it's still a repaired headstock break. It's a Hamer, not a 60's Gibson.

31 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Also, what holds the splines in place? GLUE. So, is glue STRONG, or is it WEAK? Because the joint is only going to be as strong as the glue, no matter how the joint is designed.

It's not a question of how STRONG or how WEAK the glue is.  It's a question of surface area.  

With four 3" long splines about an inch around routed into the repair, thats about a square foot of surface area reinforcing the break.  

Compare that to the amount of glue you can squeeze into the crack and you might understand.  

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

It could be carried by an African swallow!

Oh yeah. An African swallow, maybe -- but not a European swallow, that's my point.

Oh yeah, I agree with that.

One thing you WILL get here  is a honest opinion by members who have owned many of these guitars through the years................sometimes the opinions can seem harsh to some but there is no B.S. in it. It has a neck crack and will always be worth less then a similar guitar that does not,that is just the honest truth like it or not. I bought a Hamer "Sunburst" with a Kahler on it years ago,I knew it was not made that way and after talking to some of the members here I still bought it because it was what I wanted and in the price range I wanted to pay. I knew I never get out more than I paid for it...............maybe even less than I paid for it but it didn't matter at the time,I STILL wanted it. After a lot of thought I decided to let it go as I had another Sunburst.[Not because I didn't like the guitar.]I eventually traded  it on another guitar for just a little more than I paid in cash for it.Asking Isn't always getting...................that is a reality check you just have to live with.

Archived