Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wipe-On Finish Recommendations For Ash

crunchee

Question

I bought this used MIM Fender Mike Dirnt P-Bass at DGS recently (surprise, surprise), a previous owner had stripped the original stock opaque gloss black (probably urethane) finish to uncover the ash body.  I fell in love with the body grain, it must've been a good day at the Ensenada plant when they matched this 4-piece body!  The bass sounds great and is set up well, and the neck is exactly what I'd expect a P-Bass neck to be...meaty, but comfortable to play.  Weight's not bad either at 9 lbs. 5 oz..

The ash body was well stripped while the neck appears to still have it's original satin finish, there are only traces of the black finish visible along the edge of the neck pocket and in a ding along the lower body horn area (I think I'll leave those as is to show that it was painted black before, in spite of the well-matched body grain), but otherwise the body is as clean as a whistle.  This ash body has a very smooth surface, and the grain is tight so I don't feel the need for pore filling...as far as I can tell, the body is unfinished since stripping.  The only finish I want to put on the body is a simple clear wipe-on finish, just something to seal and protect the wood, but I also want that finish to be easily removable if I should opt later for a proper clear coat, a transparent blonde finish, or maybe even Butterscotch.  Tru-oil has been mentioned on the HFC before, but I've been looking at other wipe-on finish products too (and there's a LOT of them!), one of which is 'Tried And True Original Wood Finish' which Stu-Mac sells.  Has anybody used that particular finish, and what was the result?  I'm open to other suggestions for a wipe-on finish as well, along with recommendations of what to do or NOT do, so any input is welcome!  Also, wood prepping tips for the wipe-on finish would be welcome too, will a simple rub-down with naptha/lighter fluid and a tack cloth do?

Here's pictures of this bass from the DGS website, it's kinda difficult to get better photos of this bass than theirs!  And of course, TIA!

Edited to add: Eventually, I'll probably spring for a black pickguard to replace the original cream/parchment one.

S2iiZsP.jpg

5lyAmPz.jpg

i7KgZcq.jpg

4 answers to this question

I use Minwax Wipe-On Poly which is actually a Tung oil blend. I just finished a 12 string Tele build . I like the satin. Rickenbacker recommends it for their oil-finished instruments like the 650D I had. 

The Minwax WOP is similar to Tru-Oil and I have used both. I like the satin WOP better because it builds up slower and doesn’t get glossy. I do love an oil-fished neck.

Archived