Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Weezer cover Toto

The back story on this cover is a young girl pestered her favorite band, Weezer, to do the cover. Emailing, fanmailing, blogging, etc. until they did it. I forget how she heard, "Africa," but it's from a band she never heard of because of her age, but she really liked it. And she wanted Weezer to cover it. And they did. Kind of a cool story if you hear it from someone who actually has the facts straight. 

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Weezer and Toto... I never thought of any connection between those bands before.  :o

After hearing that, I still don't.

And I like Weezer...other than this.

I did click on it.  I like both bands, but I did not like this cover.

The vocals sound like they were run through a harmonizer with autotune.

What was the point of that? I don't like either band that much but that was a disservice to both Toto's breezy chops and Weezer's angsty riffing. Like steak-flavored ice cream... the worst of two nice things.

Weezer is one of my fav bands, but not fond of their covers here. I thought they'd make it their own but it sounded like they tried too hard to mimic the originals (and fell short) instead of applying more of their garage band sound ethos to it.

Uck. I didn't think I could despise modern Weezer anymore than I already do. Weezer is one of my all time favourite bands, but I have to ignore a LOT of their output and pretty much certainly anything from the past 10 years ;)  

My writing, singing and playing styles are all very informed by Weezer (Blue, Pinkerton, Green mostly). Funny thing, my original punk band of the past 10 years just imploded and three of us decided to continue as a Weezer and Sloan cover band. Two bands that were huge for all of us as we grew up playing, writing and singing. We are SLEEZER ;). For Weezer, we're going to do Blue and Pinkerton cover to cover, plus a few b-sides from each and a few choice cuts from later years (ie. Hash Pipe). For Sloan, we'll be doing a best of mix ;)

As for covers by Weezer, I do like this cover of Radiohead's Paranoid Android, but similar comment on the vocals. Very processed sounding. I hate the way he sings "What's that?", compare to how Thom Yorke sings it..

Weezer is an ok band, but Toto's overall musicianship level is so far out of their league I don't know what they were thinking. That was awful.

21 minutes ago, redline said:

Meh. Radiohead stole Paranoid Android from The Pretty Things.

I heard one chord change that was similar - the first two chords of the "What's this" refrain are similar, though Radiohead then goes to a third chord - but wow, I doubt the gloomy androids ever heard that song. 

55 minutes ago, polara said:

I heard one chord change that was similar - the first two chords of the "What's this" refrain are similar, though Radiohead then goes to a third chord - but wow, I doubt the gloomy androids ever heard that song. 

I'm with you -  one snippet sounds similar.

6 hours ago, jim777 said:

Weezer is an ok band, but Toto's overall musicianship level is so far out of their league I don't know what they were thinking. That was awful.

Exactly. If they would have done a completely different, well, Weezer version of the song, it would have had a fighting chance of being cool. But trying to "stay true" to the original sounds very half-assed, and makes them sound like a bar band.  And not even a good bar band....

And I like bar bands.  And Weezer. And Toto...

Archived