Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Doyle’s coils.

Have a great guitar, a Monaco Pro but its dark and muddy...i want to try Doyle’s Coils true PAFs....anyone try them?

Yes, Doyle's coils are a PAF hum bucker  pick up. I don't think they've been around a long time but I'm not sure when they came out.

I love the Monaco but it seems so dark. I set my plexy style marshall type amp, with all bass off and treble all the way up, still dark as can be and muddy. My Les Paul with Dave Stephens pickups...sings beautifully!

7 minutes ago, cowboytim said:

Yes, Doyle's coils are a PAF hum bucker  pick up. I don't think they've been around a long time but I'm not sure when they came out.

But your willing to drop $500 bucks on a set? I'm hip to the Doyle's Coils but really Its more about finding the right pickup for the guitar than finding the "best pickup". A Killer PAF, may not be the best one for that guitar. I much really be able to call a winder up and go, here is what my guitar is like, he is what i'm using, but I need to brighten the guitar up, roll a bit of bass off, and increase the clarity. Ok, lets try X or Y and that should get you there. So you want to spend $500 just to find out you may have just need to go with an A5 instead of an A2 in the set you have?

Also a Superpro is not a Les Paul and a Les Paul is not a Superpro. ;) 

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

But your willing to drop $500 bucks on a set? I'm hip to the Doyle's Coils but really Its more about finding the right pickup for the guitar than finding the "best pickup". A Killer PAF, may not be the best one for that guitar. I much really be able to call a winder up and go, here is what my guitar is like, he is what i'm using, but I need to brighten the guitar up, roll a bit of bass off, and increase the clarity. Ok, lets try X or Y and that should get you there. So you want to spend $500 just to find out you may have just need to go with an A5 instead of an A2 in the set you have?

Also a Superpro is not a Les Paul and a Les Paul is not a Superpro. ;) 

I like clear sounding PAF style pick ups in both my LPs and 335 guitars. Super pro being more similar to a 335 than a LP. 

Luckily Super Pros are fine inexpensive guitars, that are worth investing 500 into. Actually any fine built guitar is worth good electronics, harness and all. 

Real PAFs tend to be clear bright and under wound. Captions 335 comes to mind.

You do have a point though, I could go custom wound....There is nothing quite like a Monaco Super Pro!

1 hour ago, cynic said:

What pickups are in it?  Dark and muddy are two words I've never seen associated with a Super Pro in it's original state.

I was told from the buyer that this guitar was all original and was on display at the NAM show in 2004. It is in MINT condition.

I play through a Plexy style Marshall head and two Celestian speakers, bass off, treble turned to ten....S.Duncan was a reliable source for Hamer.....and probably worked financially in Hamers favor.... S. Duncan is not the "Best" name in aftermarket pick ups,  just one of the first and now largest.

Love the feel of the guitar and how it sounds acoustically. Hammers guitars built in Connecticut are simply the best! I tried to like these pickups....some one on this page said to give them a chance....I feel I have, really.  I've heard allot of folks remove these and that's why I was asked to try them out first....to make sure. 

FWIW, of the three Super Pros that have passed this way, only one with stock pickups, the one I liked best was (still is) equipped with more moderately priced Lollar Imperials. (Note that particular guitar was someone else's Custom Order and has a few features above the stock. At the moment, it is my favorite Hamer). Nevertheless, I am guessing those pickups might come pretty close to what you are describing as a target. But you might call them direct----It is possible they might recommend the low wind version of the Imperial as being closer to what you seek.

That said, I think you might also consider the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage, which might also get you very close to the vintage sound in your head.

Either company should be able to set you up for a lot less that 5 Benjamins.

Super Pro, isn’t it the barritone guitar? Have you checked youtube for the Doyle’s? How about checking the SD Phat Cats first? Although you prefer a good PAF tone, for removal of darkness, I would suggest going a different way. In my Newport, once, I had the idea to swap for P90s. They turned out to be very acoustic in one hand, which was great, but on the other hand over time came out to dark for my taste. So, eventually, I went back to the Phat Cats.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:18 PM, cowboytim said:

I was told from the buyer that this guitar was all original and was on display at the NAM show in 2004. It is in MINT condition.

I play through a Plexy style Marshall head and two Celestian speakers, bass off, treble turned to ten....S.Duncan was a reliable source for Hamer.....and probably worked financially in Hamers favor.... S. Duncan is not the "Best" name in aftermarket pick ups,  just one of the first and now largest.

Love the feel of the guitar and how it sounds acoustically. Hammers guitars built in Connecticut are simply the best! I tried to like these pickups....some one on this page said to give them a chance....I feel I have, really.  I've heard allot of folks remove these and that's why I was asked to try them out first....to make sure. 

Which means you have Custom Custom in the bridge and a Custom in the neck. I'm in a "Put your money where your mouth is" mood. You should try Gravelins, PM, Facebook, or call Josh and explain what you want, he will nail it for you. He is bringing the goods and I believe his pups are going to hit the spot. 

The harness components in USA Hamers are as good or better than the Doyle harness. I don't think you'll gain anything other than a lighter wallet replacing the OEM parts.

Have you considered Lollar Low Wind Imperials? Sounds like exactly what you are looking for:

Low Wind Imperial
Based on lower output PAFs often found in vintage 335s, this pickup boasts a brighter overall tone compared with the standard Lollar Imperial®. This results in exceptional definition for any chord voicing and overall great presence for cutting through the mix. You'll also find the bottom strings hold together noticeably longer without distorting than most humbuckers. The low wind is ideal for the occasional Les Paul that sounds darker in the neck position, or for guitars with darker tones in general. This pickup is also a good match for amps that are heavy in the mid-range, or if you're seeking a clear and tight bass tone. Made with Alnico 2 magnets in the neck and Alnico 5 magnets in the bridge that are degaussed to specific levels unique to the neck and bridge positions. Covers are nickel silver. Sold as singles or as sets, and comes in a wide range of cover options. Single conductor braided shield lead wire and 4 conductor lead wire is available.

DC: Neck 7.0K, Bridge 7.9K

4 hours ago, gorch said:

Super Pro, isn’t it the barritone guitar? Have you checked youtube for the Doyle’s? How about checking the SD Phat Cats first? Although you prefer a good PAF tone, for removal of darkness, I would suggest going a different way. In my Newport, once, I had the idea to swap for P90s. They turned out to be very acoustic in one hand, which was great, but on the other hand over time came out to dark for my taste. So, eventually, I went back to the Phat Cats.

The Subtone is the baritone version. SuperPro is 25.5" scale. 

Considering your handle is "cowboytim," and your profile photo shows who I presume is you in a cowboy hat with a Telecaster ...

I really like the Phat Cats suggestion.

3 hours ago, polara said:

Lollar SC in HB housing? Those things would make a cinderblock sound good: had 'em in two guitars.

Gravelins...he's a big fan :)

13 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Considering your handle is "cowboytim," and your profile photo shows who I presume is you in a cowboy hat with a Telecaster ...

I really like the Phat Cats suggestion.

I have a few guitars and a few styles of playing.....Blues is the top of the list.

I own a few Hamer's ,  Earthern Talladega,  Korina Jr Special,  Monaco Super Pro....several LPs and Fenders.

I have not big fan of S. Duncan. 

14 hours ago, triodecr said:

The harness components in USA Hamers are as good or better than the Doyle harness. I don't think you'll gain anything other than a lighter wallet replacing the OEM parts.

Have you considered Lollar Low Wind Imperials? Sounds like exactly what you are looking for:

Low Wind Imperial
Based on lower output PAFs often found in vintage 335s, this pickup boasts a brighter overall tone compared with the standard Lollar Imperial®. This results in exceptional definition for any chord voicing and overall great presence for cutting through the mix. You'll also find the bottom strings hold together noticeably longer without distorting than most humbuckers. The low wind is ideal for the occasional Les Paul that sounds darker in the neck position, or for guitars with darker tones in general. This pickup is also a good match for amps that are heavy in the mid-range, or if you're seeking a clear and tight bass tone. Made with Alnico 2 magnets in the neck and Alnico 5 magnets in the bridge that are degaussed to specific levels unique to the neck and bridge positions. Covers are nickel silver. Sold as singles or as sets, and comes in a wide range of cover options. Single conductor braided shield lead wire and 4 conductor lead wire is available.

DC: Neck 7.0K, Bridge 7.9K

I bet they sound very good....Thanks for the detailed post....I like it!

One thing I've got to say, I replaced most all pickups in my guitars....when I do, I change out the pots and caps to complement the pickup choice.

I don't buy stock CTS pots either and I love my pixy dust caps, of different offerings... for color. 

Add it up and you get Over 400 dollars for a decent wind,  pots and caps anyways..... and I do the install.... So whats 500...just saying!

Correction Doyles Coils with harness is 670...I just might put Doyles coils in my LP and remove the Dave Stephens pickups and put them in the Super pro!

1 hour ago, cowboytim said:

Correction Doyles Coils with harness is 670

Gol’DANG, pard! The savin’s keep addin’ UP! Thassa helluva sweeeeeet deal, right there!

Seriously, I’m interested in the end result of all this proposed electronic tinkering. You’re looking for a better sound, trust your YOUR ears. 

Archived