Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Elixir strings

Had a new set on for 3 weeks and noticed the coating was coming off. Filled out the online form for problems and they are sending a new set out šŸ‘

great customer serviceĀ 

Geoff

Always use Elixirs, never had that problem.

But in my view these are great strings, last very long, keep their sound.

Ā 

Gabe šŸ™‚

That is great customer service, indeed!

I always preferred the Dā€™Addario coated strings. If you havenā€™t tried them, I highly recommend.Ā In general they have a thinner coating so theyĀ donā€™t feel as different, and somehow the coating doesnā€™t ā€œfrayā€ like elixirs can.

But good to hear a company like elixir is doing right by their customers šŸ˜

1 hour ago, geoff_hartwell said:

somehow the coating doesnā€™t ā€œfrayā€ like elixirs can.

That was my main gripe with Elixirs. I'm back to using Ernie Balls.

I'm a big fan of the D'Addario EXPs for acoustics too, for the same reasons Geoff cited. You'd never, never know they were coated based solely on their feel or tones.

Edited to add that I encourage my clients to bring their strings of choice if they don't use or don't likeĀ D'Addario or DR (the only strings I carry), and the most common carry-in strings, hands down, are Elixirs, even more than EB varieties. If Elixir's buy-in wasn't so big for a shop sized and positioned like mine, I would carry them.

Elixir nanowebs (thin coated) are all I've been using for electrics, can't stand the polyweb. I usually buy from just strings and also get a 10 pack of their single G, B and E's. Swap those out in between a full set every 3-6 months as the non coated seem to deteriorate long before the coated strings.

Used to use coated strings, but they did flake and dull much faster than Iā€™d hoped. Also felt a little weird to me.Ā 

I was turned onto Dā€™addario NYXLs when they first hit the sceneĀ and have never looked back. They sound and feel great for the entire lifespan. Thereā€™s no noticeable degradation on either fronts.Ā 

Not coated, but theyā€™ve been lasting me longer than any elixers ever had.Ā 

Gotta give props on the customer service though. Nicely done, Elixer!

I've only messed with coated strings a little git. I bought a carvin guitar new from the factory (a bolt) and it came with the elixirs. Also had some EXP D'Addario's on the acoustic I use once every 5 years.

Are all of the strings coated, or just the wound strings? Or does that vary by maker?

Nope.Ā  I don't do coated strings. Usually use D'Addario XL or DR.Ā  However, I just bought a set of EB slinky, classic, Rock n Roll on the recommendation of a friend. We'll see how they do.Ā 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:54 PM, Sugartune said:

Used to use coated strings, but they did flake and dull much faster than Iā€™d hoped. Also felt a little weird to me.Ā 

I was turned onto Dā€™addario NYXLs when they first hit the sceneĀ and have never looked back. They sound and feel great for the entire lifespan. Thereā€™s no noticeable degradation on either fronts.Ā 

Not coated, but theyā€™ve been lasting me longer than any elixers ever had.Ā 

Gotta give props on the customer service though. Nicely done, Elixer!

Same here. I dunno what the NYXLs are made of, but they seem to last for ages. I'm not picky about strings, but when I tried Elixirs they kind of flaked and got dandruffy. Went back to regular ol' D'Addario XLs until they sent me some NYXLs free, and I didn't have to change them for months. Sold!

I use Elixir bass strings.Ā  Ā 3-4 gigs and few rehearsals and I can shred the coating on those strings primarily over the pickups, where all the bashing takes place. They hold their tone in the presence of sweat & grime and I love they way feel under my fretting hand.Ā  On guitars I will likely break a string before the coating begins to shred, then IMO it's time to replace the set anyway. These days I'm using EB strings on my main guitars.Ā  I think they sound richer & fuller for high gain rock.Ā  Elixirs on stuff I don't play often.Ā  Thanks for this post I will reach out to them about my shredding their bass strings.

Archived