Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What with Les Paul's Les Paul?

FGJ

yes , those are low impedance pick ups  , thats a les paul recording guitar  , i own one and the bass as well  , the pick ups are very clean sounding  , its actually a very cool guitar

echo, low impedance..

"The guitar came with two slanted low impedance pickups with Gibson logo molded on covers. The guitar was equipped with integral transformers to make the output impedance compatible with normal high impedance amps or low impedance. In other words, with the transformer off for recording in a studio plugged directly into the board, the low-impedance mode gave much cleaner tracks and broader frequency bandwidth that could be tweaked in the mix."

https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2009/10/the-les-paul-recording-guitar.html

I think they were guitars designed mostly to record direct to the board. A very different type of setup/sound from standard "high impedance" pickups used by pretty much every other guitar out there. Part of this is also that they were originally designed with Les Paul to give a very clear distortion free sound. Not really the type of sound that many guitar slingers are looking for .

Les Paul Recording Model (and its low impedance Recording Pickups) were designed to plug directly into a recording console. For plugging into a guitar amp, you needed to activate the guitar's onboard impedance transformer.

The full story.

I wonder how many short-time owners of the Les Paul Recording model plugged it into an amp, didn't like the tone, and got rid of the guitar without ever activating the onboard impedance transformer.

1 minute ago, HAMERMAN said:

Thanks for posting that - never heard of Danny Gatton using that until today. Hard to imagine anybody thinking Danny's playing was "all about effects"!

He not only used it, IIRC, he made it himself.

Gatton's was the "Magic Dingus Box", Les' was the "Les Paulverizer".

I was fortunate to see Les and Chet together from the second row of a theater, and to see Danny a half dozen times, mostly in a nearly empty bar.

8 hours ago, jim777 said:

Lester and Chester :)

I have that LP:

81XQ9qL07WL._SL1500_.jpg

7 hours ago, kizanski said:

Random Album Title!

Chet Atkins' birth name was Chester Burton Atkins. Les Paul's was Lester William  Polslfuss.

Maybe not so random.

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Chet Atkins' birth name was Chester Burton Atkins. Les Paul's was Lester William  Polslfuss.

Maybe not so random.

Yeah, I have heard of them. Thanks.  

Chet has nothing to do with the fucking thread, so it's random.  

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I have that LP:

81XQ9qL07WL._SL1500_.jpg

There's a lot going on in that photo, despite it's deceptively simple composition:

The hippie guitar straps

The Fantasy Island white suits

The gargantuan bowties

The tuxedo shirts, particularly Chet's

The NORAD control panel on Chet's guitar (Is that a Gretsch?)

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

Yeah, I have heard of them. Thanks.  

Chet has nothing to do with the fucking thread, so it's random.  

He's sitting right next to Les in the video noted in the OP. 

4 minutes ago, jim777 said:

He's sitting right next to Les in the video noted in the OP. 

Yeah, so is Gene Fucking Shalit.  What's your point?

Archived