Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First KISS, then ANGEL...

I tried to get into Angel when I was younger. The drummer had those cool curved drums (well, they were cool to my 16 year old self). Then they were briefly in the Josie Foster, Cherie Currie, Scott Baio movie, Foxes, which fueled my suburban teenage angst. They never stuck, though. Maybe I should give them another listen.

Obviously, Angel was supposed to counterbalance Kiss on the same record label, even right down to the visuals.

Curiously, a couple of their better songs were instrumental versions of "Angel Theme", IIRC (However, I'd still go w/ "Iron Butterfly Theme" for an aural band sig). "Can You Feel It" was fair (Giuffria's synth slithering in at the end) but all too often it seemed like the singer was trying to be a hard rock version of Jon Anderson, and even that description is a paradox...YMMV

Gotta love Punky Meadows.  Pound for pound, one of the best of the glam/hairband ilk.

One thing that always struck me with Angel was how they spent

thousands of dollars on outfits and image, but couldn't take 5 minutes

to pluck the lead singer's unibrow.   

No respect for them at all for trying to rush release "You really got me"

after Eddie stupidly played a pre release tape for their drummer....

I saw them a couple of times in opening slots at the Philly Spectrum, and owned one of their albums.  For better or worse, a fair representation of the '70s.

4 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

Gotta love Punky Meadows.  Pound for pound, one of the best of the glam/hairband ilk.

Punky Meadows Lip Farm, lol. That's the banner I hung at the concert. I think it was called, "Monster's of Rock." Headlining was Frank Marino. Unless I'm getting concerts confused in my old age.

Angel and Kiss are my old drummer's two favorite bands, and I respect his opinions on music a lot.  I've tried several times to find something by Angel that I like to no avail.  I finally warmed up to Kiss about 10 years ago, though I still wouldn't call myself a "fan".

6 hours ago, tommy p said:

Angel and Kiss are my old drummer's two favorite bands, and I respect his opinions on music a lot. 

Errrrhhmm...wait, what?? The modern equivalent would be like someone saying  Smashmouth is their fave group. Of all time. 

6 hours ago, tommy p said:

I've tried several times to find something by Angel that I like to no avail. 

That’s cuz they were awful. 

Man, I totally forgot about this band until seeing this post. In fact, I don't think I've given this band a thought since seeing their album at my friend's house way back in jr. high, like, almost four decades ago.

I will say the invertible logo is cool. 

I don't recall ever hearing them before, but at least now I know where Giuffria came from. And aside from recognizing the name and remembering seeing them on MTV back in the day, I don't remember much about them either. 

A load of us used to hang out at this girls house daily after school and during summer holidays; I was going out with her best friend.  There was a copy of On Earth As It Is In Heaven at the house and it seemed to be on all the time, so by way of association it's a special album for me.

I do try and listen to their other records, but man alive Frank's voice is like nails on a blackboard.  It's hard work.  I do love Felix Robinson's bass tone on the live album.

23 minutes ago, planetgaffnet said:

There was a copy of On Earth As It Is In Heaven at the house and it seemed to be on all the time, so by way of association it's a special album for me.

Therein lies the problem with a 50yr-old drummer citing KISS/Angel as his, “favorite bands.” 

I have seen them both but not at the same show... Angel came out like Spinal Tap.. Big huge Egg Shell like things that they busted out of to start the show.. But it was a great show.. Saw Kiss many times.. Once as a opening act for Blue Oyster Cult with the New York Dolls.. Then later at the best Halloween Show when they first started their own headling tour in a very small club on Ohio State Campus, in 1974.. My best friend even was on stage with them...!

Kiss at the Agora 1974.jpg

Archived