Hamer Fan Club Message Center

72 frets, 2 guitars

Forgive me but ever since I bought Tobereeno’s Virtuoso I have been wanting to do this.  A side by side shot of the Virt and Washburn EC36.   The extended scale length of the Virt certainly makes it more playable in all positions.  

2C4ADA1B-98FB-49C2-A9C7-A62D7436B2AE.jpeg

On this note, there is a Washburn EC36 at a local pawn shop for under $300. It has been refinned black (good job), logo and any ID markings covered via refin, and the paint is covered (and I mean covered) with random assorted stickers ALL OVER. Also modified in a good way, added Duncans and a MIG Floyd.

I was tempted to get it just to refret the sucker and use it as a shop display piece - if I can refret a 36-fret bed with THAT ^^^^ curved fretboard end tongue, I can refret anything haha.

I assume under $300 is a "go get it NOW" trigger?

9 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

I assume under $300 is a "go get it NOW" trigger?

If it is a MIJ version, then yes, methinks you go pick that one up. 

37 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

Saw one of those Washburn in small local shop over the winter gone now.  First one I had seen in person since the 80's they want $499 for it. Had the crackle finish as well.

I wonder if it was the same one I saw at Musicgoround in Burnsville a year or two ago? I think it was a red crackle finish, I know you need to be up on your tetanus shot because the strings were so old. 

14 hours ago, Graffiti Yellow said:

Forgive me but ever since I bought Tobereeno’s Virtuoso I have been wanting to do this.  A side by side shot of the Virt and Washburn EC36.   The extended scale length of the Virt certainly makes it more playable in all positions.  

2C4ADA1B-98FB-49C2-A9C7-A62D7436B2AE.jpeg

You could always build a 72-fret doubleneck, kinda like Michael Angelo Batio's double-neck guitar:

I'ved owned two EC36s and six EC29s.  They are incredibly well-built guitars - laminated 3-piece necks with luthiery design by Steve Davies.  They were made in the Kasuga Japan factory - a very good factory.  I gigged with one for years and was very reliable in all conditions.  I always swapped the pickups to passive, but that was personal preference.  The 29 fret versions was surprisingly versatile with the mid-boost and coil tap.  I could go on with the history, as I was the former owner of vintagewashburn.com, but I'll stop there.  I'm still waiting to pick up a Virtuoso - almost pulled the trigger on an O'Connor marble Virt, but that was years ago.

• 2 months later...

somehow missed this thread. glad to see you're enjoying it, and yes indeed the magic in a Virtuoso is not the 36 frets but the 26.25" scale length. You could hack 12 frets off the Virt and it'd still have all it's mojo.

I'm also glad to see you didn't reverse what I'd done to it. I may be obsessed with Sperzels but they do have their detractors. I do recall putting some fairly significant money in that bridge - I'd discovered Floyd Rose had started their website and I just went batshit crazy ordering off it - mega tungsten block, new plate saddles, pretty much everything, titanium inserts and nut screws, and those funky string locking screws that double as intonation tools. I would have gone all titanium but I've never heard what full titanium hardware sounds like and given how light it is, it's going to sound very different. For as much as titanium hardware costs, I wasn't willing to take that gamble. But titanium inserts - those won't ever crack. Ever. Very practical!

Archived