Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If we weren't Hamer fans, whose fans would we be?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ibanez, Dean, Robin............................not neces in that order for any reason...................Gustavsson I really like those.

I have a couple of Fenders, three Gibsons, two MM Stingray basses...  USA Deans and BC Rich’s are two I’ve always liked, but don’t have any.  Really like the Stingrays....  So maybe Musicman, BC Rich And Dean...   Although, funny story, after I bought my Standard, and thought “I’m DONE”, I was talking to a friend of my son’s, and he said something about his PRS, and a little voice in the back of my head went “PRS... PRS... PRS... “

GAS - It’s a helluva drug.

Hamer fills the Gibson niche for me. So....if no Hamer, I’d a been one unhappy Gibson fanboy.....

I am so glad Hamers existed.

Washburn (had a Korean Idol when I got my Studio Custom. Didn’t think Hamer was in the realm of possibility for me and was liking the Washburn Pilsen Idols)

G&L, Guild, PRS S2 (Mira, Vela) 

From a pure quality perspective, I'd go for late 70's and early 80's German made Hoyers and the new breed of German guitar building like Huber, Hartung and others. But from an emotional point of view, it'll be Gibson! Coming to guitar in the early 70's Gibsons and Fenders were the goal to be reached. I still remember when I almost fainted when I saw my first real Les Paul Custom in a shop window in 1972...

Baker B3 fanboi here,,, I've only played a few but they all were fantastic builds. They have a substantial weight and neck feel, reminds me of the Talladega though the Tally has a V neck shape. A B3 Phoenix is what I want next.

I had a Peavey Oddyssey once that was a kick ass guitar in every aspect except for the neck that was stupidly thin. 

The late 80`s , early 90`s stuff from Peavey was great. The Generation and Falcon is other guitars that comes to mind. 

7 hours ago, hanspanzer said:

I had a Peavey Oddyssey once that was a kick ass guitar in every aspect except for the neck that was stupidly thin. 

The late 80`s , early 90`s stuff from Peavey was great. The Generation and Falcon is other guitars that comes to mind. 

I had always wanted a Hamer (especially a Chap or Cali) after seeing Cheap Trick and so many bands of the time play them, but never saw one in the local music stores. So, I bought a Peavey Destiny in pearl white with black hardware. It was a pretty close substitute and was actually a well made guitar.
https://reverb.com/ca/item/2728147-peavey-destiny-1990-pearl-whiteq9ih18bmwz2bg1cvr3jy.jpg

I eventually got the Hamers I wanted and sold the Peavey but I have good respect for most the Peavey lineup. One of the best playing strats I played was a Peavey Falcon, nice stratty guitar. Some had some killer flamed maple necks.

I also had a Korean Idol which was a very well made guitar. 

IdolEMG2.JPG

3 minutes ago, ZR said:

I had always wanted a Hamer (especially a Chap or Cali) after seeing Cheap Trick and so many bands of the time play them, but never saw one in the local music stores. So, I bought a Peavey Destiny in pearl white with black hardware. It was a pretty close substitute and was actually a well made guitar.
https://reverb.com/ca/item/2728147-peavey-destiny-1990-pearl-whiteq9ih18bmwz2bg1cvr3jy.jpg

I eventually got the Hamers I wanted and sold the Peavey but I have good respect for most the Peavey lineup. One of the best playing strats I played was a Peavey Falcon, nice stratty guitar. Some had some killer flamed maple necks.

I also had a Korean Idol which was a very well made guitar. 

IdolEMG2.JPG

Dude. You were gonna sell me the Idol many years ago but you just didn`t have the heart to let her go at the time. I was crushed!! Seriously though. What happened to her. Man is that guitar sweet!

I can't remember to tell you the truth, probably put it on ebay. It's all kind of fuzzy for some reason. I think I sold it to buy a Dean USA Hardtail, like the 3rd one made or something like that. Then traded that for a LP Classic with a guy in England. Then a Japanese Epi Elitist (elite? I forget) LP. The Elitist had incredible build quality but the Gibson LP Classic had that certain mojo to it, hard to describe. All those are gone now. I've had the same guitars and amps for many years now. 

That particular Washburn Idol was from a limited run by Boogie Street Guitars. Haven't kept up with them so I don't even know if they're still around anymore. 

17 hours ago, ZR said:

I can't remember to tell you the truth, probably put it on ebay. It's all kind of fuzzy for some reason. I think I sold it to buy a Dean USA Hardtail, like the 3rd one made or something like that. Then traded that for a LP Classic with a guy in England. Then a Japanese Epi Elitist (elite? I forget) LP. The Elitist had incredible build quality but the Gibson LP Classic had that certain mojo to it, hard to describe. All those are gone now. I've had the same guitars and amps for many years now. 

That particular Washburn Idol was from a limited run by Boogie Street Guitars. Haven't kept up with them so I don't even know if they're still around anymore. 

Cool!! Boogie Street is only a few miles from me and I never bought anything from them. I should have bought a lot of their guitars back in the day!! Not sure if they are still in business or not?

On 6/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, kurtsstuff said:

ESP MII's are my next choice in guitars other than Hamer Cali's

I've been wanting to try one of these...  Alas, my regional market doesn't have any laying around.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, DBraz said:

PRS.  I really wanted to love PRS and have owned an Artist, Artist pack 24 and a Custom 22 & 24.  Every time I tried to lovr them but they seemed to lack their own character and I found them kind of clunky.  I sold all of them.

I've had a few PRS, including my PRS holy-grail - the Custom 24 with ebony fretboard and a Floyd.  Strong-memoried HFCers will recall that I sold it earlier this year because I couldn't love it.  Something was missing despite the fact that it was gorgeous, played like it was well broken in, and was the envy of anyone who played it.  Maybe I'm just in love with the idea of PRS.

James Tyler. To me they have that same sense of knowing what they want to be, being exactly that, and not especially caring what you think about it. Both have a sixth sense for how the guitar feels. Both I can buy without needing to play the individual guitar, and know I'll like what they've done. 

Archived