Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Golden Era?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I've developed a deep appreciation for Hamer Guitars due to their quality and story. I've owned a few over the years and regret letting them go so bad šŸ˜” I've got my eyes out for a nice studio custom or monaco elite.

My question: Is there a "golden era" or are all years just as quality as any other?

Thanks,

Graham

Welcome!

Thats a pretty loaded question, and I look forward to some of the responses, haha šŸ˜†Ā 

Nice Studio customs and Monaco Elites show up with some regularity, so if thatā€™s your focus youā€™ll be well met if you hang around and keep an eye out. And you wonā€™t find a more honorable group to deal with.

My two cents about the ā€œGolden Ageā€ is that it entirely depends on you.

All of the models have their pluses and minuses, depending on your proclivities, but there is a thread of greatness in all of them. Basic elements, to craftsmanship and on to real world reliability.Ā Probably why weā€™re here right? Your relationships to the designs will also determine what models and what times you favor. I happen to love Duotones, but there are vast differences between the various stages of designs over time, and to me, all good, butĀ different.

You are in good company, and I hope you find many beautiful Hamers in your future.

šŸ˜

My personal favorites are from the late-'90s forward. The neck carve was perfect and the craftsmanship was incredible, second to none. The only niggle might be the choice of pickups they used, which was a love/hate thing in any era.

Welcome!

Studios and monaco are a great way to get back into the Hamer waters.Ā  You should see them pop up now and then.

Golden era?Ā  For me, it was the CT era.Ā  They weren't chasing anyone at that point.Ā  Ā From a design, fit and finish perspective those guitars took a backseat to no one.Ā  Of those the Talleys, monacos and newports are my fave.

I've owned a few Hamers from different eras.Ā  Not one was a dog.Ā  Ā All had cool things about them.Ā  They aspired to make gig worthy guitars at a reasonable price.Ā  Ā I don't think they ever really missed that mark.Ā  So regardless of the era you can't go wrong.

I like the late 90's very early 2000's...Ā Ā  tops andĀ neck profiles were good,Ā  liked some of the

coolĀ stuff they were doing like the mahogany 25th/artists.Ā Ā Pricing still reasonable enough

to buy new.Ā Ā Ā  They were also doing the HFCĀ open housesĀ so it was possible to weasel your

way thru the wood pile!

+1 on the Connecticut time. They always have made excellent guitars.Ā 

I played an oldĀ Sunburst of Hardheartedbill's that I didn't care for. Had anĀ early 80s Blitz bass with a neck like a Tennessee state highway, all curves. An '81 Special that sounded nice but had a neck like a shadow, a Phantom a5 that wouldn't stay in tune.

But never less than stellar in the modern era. My 2008 Standard Custom is monumentally good, the '94 Studio Custom is a keeper, despite Hameritis the likes of which I've never seen.

I love them all but generally I graduate towards shredders so early ā€˜90ā€™s for me.

Having said that I own Hamers from the 70ā€™s, 80ā€™s, 90ā€™s and 2000ā€™s and love them all.

Welcome back!

When I hear someone ask about the "heyday" of Hamer, I'm always reluctant to respond.Ā  I can think of a Hamer i wanted to order every year of my knowledge of their existence as a company. That started around 1979 in the Guitar Emporium catalogs.Ā  There was the "Sunburst" and the "Standard".Ā  Something innovative and cool every year after that.Ā  I fell for the Vintage S twice.Ā  Silly boy...

I think it will depend whatĀ  your personlyĀ preferences are. quality of the guitars still was great (i.m.o)

I am a child of the early 80Ā“s and these are my "golden" Hamers. Hamer was a respected company in Germany this time. They lost market later ( I personally donĀ“t like the lateĀ 80Ā“s. FRose and Stratmonster.. )

Also I like theĀ  90Ā“s (duotone, eclipse, vanguard..) and of course the Artist series... ;-) something like back to the roots...

Welcome! I guess it all depends upon how you define a Golden Era? Your focus seems to be on quality, as it should be :)

These guyā€™s gave good answers. I got to the party late and have owned a bunch in the last decade including one of the nasty boy Checkerboard Specials and the rest were 2000 eras.....they all played wonderfully and sounded great with flawless quality. Seriously. I have never played a bad Hamer.Ā 

My fave is the early to mid 2000 era cause I love love love the vintage carve neck. They just feel right.

Again, welcome to the coolest music forum on the net!

Archived