Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2015 Prs se standard 22 - upgrades?

BubbaVO

Question

Made in Indonesia.  A couple of pieces of mahogany glued together.  A dark blue/indigo thick poly finish. 25" scale.   Equipped with an se wraptail, nut and tuners.    The verdict - it's not bad at all.  It's resonant.  You can feel the body vibrate.  I liked this better than some of the dead feeling USA models from 20 or so years ago.  Dare I say even gig worthy?

The only adjustment I've made is to raise the pickup screws on the stock buckers.  That seemed to breathe a little more life into them.  The tuners seem to work just fine.  I'm bending notes and it's staying in tune.  The neck is marketed as "wide and fat".   I don't think it's fat at all.  But it isn't uncomfortably thin.  And for $400 shipped I definitely can live with it.  The only thing is at times I think I hear on the high "e" a bit of a sitar like plink on the notes.  I'll change the strings and see if a little sand paper in the nut and bridge slots will fix that.

Since hanging out here I've accumulated a shot load of parts.  So I just swapped some uoa5 rough cast magnets in a Duncan 59/jb  combo that will certainly be an improvement.  I have some Grover locking tuners that look like they would fit in the existing holes.   Of course a bunch of Hamer wiring harnesses.  Those are easy enough to swap in and the price is right.

Are the nut and bridge really worth an upgrade?  If so, what do suggest?  It's a beater guitar.  It'll always be left out so I can grab it and play.  And I won't care if it gets a ding.  And of course, a recent don't on U40 motivated this acquisition.  I shouldn't let that bother me, since it is bound to happen.  But I can't get around the emotion of it.  

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived