Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Matt "Guitar" Murphy RIP

Back in ''88, I saw him at McFadden Music on Independence Blvd. I walked in during lunch and he was strumming a Classical tune on a Guild gut string. The entire staff was surrounding him and he was fantastic and cool. I remember being blown away knowing him only from the  BB movie, and here he was laying down smooth Classical and Jazz licks. Seemed impossible because his hands (and smile) were huge. Finally learned he was playing the Double Door that night.

I was leaving and he walked out with a sack of groceries and it was hot as hell. Guessing he'd walked into the shop on the way back from a grocery store on Commonwealth Ave. and had some fun or buy strings. I offered him a ride but he pointed to the no-name motel yards away and declined, saying he was fine. I took a left and remember the glance in side mirror of him walking away. Almost forgotten that... 

Rest in peace, guitar man.

Ahhh. I still want that SG. Gotta love a guy who loves SGs,  even if it looked like a toy guitar in his hands. Of course I think just about any guitar would look like a toy with him.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:05 AM, mudshark said:

Great performance by MGM but look at those long fingers on Memphis Slim. Talk about someone being born to play the piano. Wow!

Archived