Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Dimarzio Pups

FGJ

This may have been discussed elsewhere, so I apologize if it has been done already. But can anyone explain why the late 90's Dimarzio pups (at least the one on my '89 Cali) are not F spaced (assuming I have the terminology correct). Why didn't Hamer ask Dimarzio to place the pole pieces under the strings? Or why didn't Hamer slant the pickup like other Floyd-equipped-EVH-guitar-clones so that the poles are somewhat closer to the strings? And do the out-of-line poles affect the tone adversely? (I've never swapped pups to do a comparison.) 

Anyone do much pup swapping on Cali's or other Floyd-equipped guitars? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Diablo? Inquiring minds wanna know. 

I was going to say, the Hamer gang is a pretty sharp collaborative and they too very likely deduced that F spacing is nice but far, far from necessary. I can't hear a damn bit of difference either - I actually wrote a blog about this for my shop's website.

http://www.thefretshack.com/blog/polespacing

I give Dimarzio and Seymour's Marketing 101 efforts an A+++ on the whole F spaced things. I'd love to know how many purely ignorant and OCD-riddled players out there they got to scrap their perfectly good pickups and invest their money in the same exact thing that looked a little "better."

Maybe it is just OCD, but I do like my poles directly under the string. But like Jeff said, its far from necessary and I'll play them any way they come in a guitar. 

Now do we want to discuss Poles Pieces compared to Rails? LOL Lets not! 

7 hours ago, Jeff R said:

I was going to say, the Hamer gang is a pretty sharp collaborative and they too very likely deduced that F spacing is nice but far, far from necessary. I can't hear a damn bit of difference either - I actually wrote a blog about this for my shop's website.

http://www.thefretshack.com/blog/polespacing

I give Dimarzio and Seymour's Marketing 101 efforts an A+++ on the whole F spaced things. I'd love to know how many purely ignorant and OCD-riddled players out there they got to scrap their perfectly good pickups and invest their money in the same exact thing that looked a little "better."

Thanks for the link. The article made perfect sense. Frankly, I could care less about the looks, so if the spacing is irrelevant to the tone, that's good enough for me.

9 hours ago, FGJ said:

This may have been discussed elsewhere, so I apologize if it has been done already. But can anyone explain why the late 90's Dimarzio pups (at least the one on my '89 Cali) are not F spaced (assuming I have the terminology correct). Why didn't Hamer ask Dimarzio to place the pole pieces under the strings? Or why didn't Hamer slant the pickup like other Floyd-equipped-EVH-guitar-clones so that the poles are somewhat closer to the strings? And do the out-of-line poles affect the tone adversely? (I've never swapped pups to do a comparison.) 

Anyone do much pup swapping on Cali's or other Floyd-equipped guitars? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Diablo? Inquiring minds wanna know. 

I believe it's just cosmetics. Some people are anal that way. 

2 hours ago, cynic said:

I picked up a strat a while back with a set of these that tackle the problem in a different way.  Six coils arranged as three humbucking pairs.  I'm far from being a strat purist, but I really like them.

zexcoil-original__large.jpg

Z Coils are cool, very labor intensive. I played a Strat down in Nashville that was loaded with them and they sound like strat pickups. 

On 6/17/2018 at 10:55 AM, bubs_42 said:

Maybe it is just OCD, but I do like my poles directly under the string. But like Jeff said, its far from necessary and I'll play them any way they come in a guitar. 

Now do we want to discuss Poles Pieces compared to Rails? LOL Lets not! 

I do!  :D

I've got both L90 and L500 pickups from Wilde and they're awesome.  

On 6/21/2018 at 9:56 AM, sixesandsevens said:

I do!  :D

I've got both L90 and L500 pickups from Wilde and they're awesome.  

Would love to buy more of their products, but the communication with them is less than ideal.  So I'm reluctant to throw sheckels their way, even if they are significantly less than I would throw to SD or DiMarzio.

Archived