Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm Not Worthy!!!!

But it IS kinda f-ing cool! In placing another custom order with Shane at H.E.L., I was pleasantly surprised by his opting to have me name the model. Actually, I believe he posted:  "So.... Jim is getting he very own guitar model." Yeah, definitely not worthy but very cool all the same.

Knowing Shane's tendency to name his models after snakes and airplanes (seems to me there's a movie title in there somewhere...) I opted for Spitfire. To be fair, I initially wanted to go with "Mustang" as in, P-51D, but FMIC already has a lock on that. 🙄 Next up was the F4U Corsair but Shane accurately pointed out that the Corsair was actually a sizeable bird despite it's carrier-based status. The H.E.L. JV2BT “Spitfire” model is based on the Charvel/Jackson Dinky shape which is 7/8 scale. A smaller, faster and higher performance ax and thus, deserving of a fitting fighter analogy/inspiration.

Production has already begun and I cannot wait!!! 

Spitfire body template.JPG

Spitfire neck.JPG

Not sure U.S. Music (or whatever they are called these days) would care enough to send a cease-and-desist letter to Shane for this custom build. 

As for finishes: Come on, Jim. With a model name like Spitfire, this one demands a scheme bearing RAF camo with circa-1940 markings. 

1 hour ago, Jeff R said:

Uh oh ...

23843543_1550157335064642_86166165694748

No longer in production. Problem solved.

51 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Not sure U.S. Music (or whatever they are called these days) would care enough to send a cease-and-desist letter to Shane for this custom build. 

As for finishes: Come on, Jim. With a model name like Spitfire, this one demands a scheme bearing RAF camo with circa-1940 markings. 

The same thought had occurred to me but would add months onto the completion date. I am up against a wall,  so to speak, time-wise as I want this done in time to gig for the last several shows of the cover band. If it proves to be a winner, I'll sell off a Hamer or two and commission another one with appropriate RAF graphics....

When that time comes, find out who painted these warbirds (I think it was GMW Guitarworks) and pay him/them whatever price he/they ask. I would!

27540873_10212826742598215_7721562915923

These weren't simply I want a Hellcat," I want a Zero" ... their owner handed the artist conceptual drawings with camo colors and patterns, insignias, specific fonts and letters/numerals, etc. Right up your alley!

27459476_10212828766728817_5018377666565

Of course you aren’t! You always end up either customizing... or selling. 😡🤣

4 minutes ago, zorrow said:

Of course you aren’t! You always end up either customizing... or selling. 😡🤣

Incorrect. Point of fact- I have several guitars in my possession that I have not customized- Shane's first build being one of them... unless you consider a builder-approved swap of the pickup to be customizing... ;)

28 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Just did some more digging, Dan Lawrence did them all.

Was just gonna post that when you resolved the mystery. :D

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

No longer in production. Problem solved.

As long as there is a trademark the name is still owned by Washburn.  They have to use the name in some way to maintain ownership which could be done with a limited run right before the trademark runs out. 

Ernie Ball/Music Man had a guitar called the "Axis" in the early 80's.  They changed the name to "Albert Lee" and put out an entirely different "Axis" series.  Hamer reused the names "Cruise" and "Phantom" because they already owned them. 

If you ever wondered why a comic book company will publish a story with an old character it is simply to retain the trademark on the character. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

If you ever wondered why a comic book company will publish a story with an old character it is simply to retain the trademark on the character. 

I wonder if the same applies to guitar names. The EC29 (Spitfire1) stopped production in '89. Almost 30 years since they last were made.

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

I'll sell off a Hamer or two and commission another one with appropriate RAF graphics....

No affiliation other than being a happy customer, but if I had anything I wanted art on I'd talk to Jeff at RCA Guitars.  He has more examples of things he's done on Facebook.

11934972_10153762562989928_8405604878090

4 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I wonder if the same applies to guitar names. The EC29 (Spitfire1) stopped production in '89. Almost 30 years since they last were made.

In my experience, trademark laws equally apply to pretty much every kind of product with a trademarked name. However, the same name can often be used with two different products as long as the products are distinct enough. For example, a guitar called a "Spitfire" would not infringe on a plane with a similar name (assuming the plane were still in production) because consumers would not confuse one product for the other. In the end, however, it'll usually be up to a court to adjudicate a dispute if the original TM holder claims an infringement has been made, so it's best just to stay away from using a trademarked name if it's still in use. You can easily do a free search for live or dead trademark names on the fed's patent/trademark/copyright website.

Honestly, if a guitar is not being marketed commercially, I doubt anyone would care what you name your custom ordered item. How would they possibly know what you named your one-off creation?

10 minutes ago, FGJ said:

Honestly, if a guitar is not being marketed commercially, I doubt anyone would care what you name your custom ordered item. How would they possibly know what you named your one-off creation?

Social media. I hear it's quite the thing these days.

I doubt anyone on social media is concerned about someone who is personally naming a non-commercially marketed product. I suspect Jim could name his personal guitar the "Millenium Falcon" and no one's going to bother him for it.

2 hours ago, FGJ said:

I doubt anyone on social media is concerned about someone who is personally naming a non-commercially marketed product. I suspect Jim could name his personal guitar the "Millenium Falcon" and no one's going to bother him for it.

Indeed. I named my neck-thru Cali-esque Addict build, the "Burrito"  😂 

IMG_5835.jpg

Edwards Custom trombones names all of their horns after Chevy Engine configurations. As one might expect, their main pro-level orchestral horn is the T-350, while the main bass is the B-454. They also have a B-502.

I also like how Rolls Royce names all of their aircraft engines after birds of prey. The Supermarine Spitfire had a Roll's Royce "Merlin" engine, a Supercharged v12.

Archived