Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Fender MIM

46 minutes ago, DBraz said:

Wow.  Do these big manufacturers ever learn?

A bad product diminishes faith in the brand and you sometimes don’t get the player back.

Gibson's guitar sales are fine after decades of producing crap, it was their other ventures that doomed them. 

Before anybody plunks down cash for a NOS MIM Standard Series Fender, or a new 'Player' Series Fender...I noticed very recently that a couple of dealers have got in some new 'Limited Edition' MIJ 'Traditional Series' '60's Jazzmasters in Blue Floral or Pink Paisley also, no affiliation BTW.  I'm still looking around online for the Fender press release about them but haven't found it yet.  Those might be worth looking at if you want something different.

1 hour ago, RobB said:

So, where would these fabled lovelies be hiding, hmm?

Google is your friend...but I'm surprised nobody found them at DGS, since I frequently reference their list of goodies 'n gear.  And no, I don't work for them or get a commission, I'm just an enabler!

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender/limited-edition-traditional-series-60s-jazzmaster-pink-paisley/

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender/limited-edition-traditional-series-60s-jazzmaster-blue-floral/

Also here:

https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/fender

Apparently, they've been selling in Japan for awhile, unfortunately this video is just pictures of the guitars:

So far, no one has conclusively said that this new series is MIM. Why the drop in quality control over a name change? The only thing one can conclude is that they maybe moved production to the orient?

Conclusively

"We offer lower specification, lower price guitars that are still very much true to the Fender brand from $500 retail to $1,000 crafted in Ensenada [Mexico]. We have increased production in both factories over the last three years and are working at capacity to keep pace with global demand."

36 minutes ago, cynic said:

"We offer lower specification, lower price guitars that are still very much true to the Fender brand from $500 retail to $1,000 crafted in Ensenada [Mexico]. We have increased production in both factories over the last three years and are working at capacity to keep pace with global demand."

It takes an expert bullshit artist to craft a paragraph which includes the word "crafted" with "lower specification," adding "increased production" for good measure.

I'd toured the Ensenada factory about 20 years ago. Obviously, there are some cultural differences in manufacturing,but the concentration on building quality products---instruments, amps, and even guitar cases---was impressive. It would be difficult for me to imagine (the perception of) Fender stepping back from that facility.

And in addition to Gibson's being crippled by its acquisitions of other companies, that company is still saddled with the perception that it created beaucoup models that nobody wanted. Then there's the "lifestyle brand" hype, which in my opinion Gibson should have avoided in favor of simply producing quality instruments at reasonable prices (sounds like Hartley Peavey's mantra). YMMV

44 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It takes an expert bullshit artist to craft a paragraph which includes the word "crafted" with "lower specification," adding "increased production" for good measure.

...and add “true to the Fender brand”.....

The phrase “lower specification” tells the tale here, I’d imagine. Lower spec will likely equal lower tolerance, cheaper parts, and less attention to detail.

Which is a shame. Time will tell. I currently own one actual Fender ...a 2004 AmericanSeries Strat that has been modded quite a bit...I do love that guitar. 

I look forward to actually picking up and playing the new Players Series in a GC once I get over to KC next.

1 minute ago, Jakeboy said:

...and add “true to the Fender brand”.....

That's actually where the truth is in the ad speak.
"Lower specification" + "true to the Fender brand" = "We've accepted that we're shit."

Anyone who buys a new Fender, regardless of the country of manufacture, is throwing half of their money out into the street.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

If they'd only found a way to weave in "leverage" and "core competency", the bullshit meter would have been pegged.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Not sure why they feel the need to rebrand. I've already got all the strat and tele type guitars I need.

They're re-branding because you already have all the strat and tele type guitars you need. 
Now, they'll try to get you to believe these are in some way different.

7 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

There are a few bazllion MIM Fenders on CL right now.

^^ This is why I said this...

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

Anyone who buys a new Fender, regardless of the country of manufacture, is throwing half of their money out into the street.

Archived