Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sonny Landreth and Zachary Richard

More interesting to me is Sonny uses that newer generation of Dimarzio hum-cancelling singles we've talked about in other threads. That alone should tell you the strides Dimarzio has made beyond high-output distortion class humbuckers.

Zachary is a treasure too, and I'm not just saying that because he and I are related :)  He is unbelievably popular in French-speaking Canada thanks to not only the language but the shared cultural ties.

I've spent a lot of time with both of those guys away from the stage and studio, and they are genuine jewels of people in addition to being stellar musicians. Thanks for sharing!

On 6/21/2018 at 8:55 AM, Jeff R said:

More interesting to me is Sonny uses that newer generation of Dimarzio hum-cancelling singles we've talked about in other threads. That alone should tell you the strides Dimarzio has made beyond high-output distortion class humbuckers.

Zachary is a treasure too, and I'm not just saying that because he and I are related :)  He is unbelievably popular in French-speaking Canada thanks to not only the language but the shared cultural ties.

I've spent a lot of time with both of those guys away from the stage and studio, and they are genuine jewels of people in addition to being stellar musicians. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a longtime listener to Zachary Richard and a big fan of the traditional Creole Cajun music. I've got a lot of stuff by folks like Iry LeJeune, DL Menard, Steve Riley, Nathan Abshire, Amede Ardoin, The Balfa Brothers, The Savoy FamilyBand, Joe Bonsall and Harry Choates. Also, love the Zydeco sound of Clifton Chenier, Boozoo Chavis, Buckwheat Zydeco, and artists in that vein. In my construction days many years ago, I used to paint half a dozen crude oil tanks in Lake Charles every year, and the radio stayed glued to the Cajun channels. Then I saw DL Menard, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, Boozoo Chavis, and Clifton Chenier while I was there, and it ingrained a love of Cajun music that never let go of me.
My favorite Zachary Richard tune:

On 6/21/2018 at 8:12 AM, shankyboy said:

......Interesting Strat he is playing with the Tele bridge setup. 

I want THAT!

Love Sonny. Great clip.

6 hours ago, mudshark said:

I'm a longtime listener to Zachary Richard and a big fan of the traditional Creole Cajun music. I've got a lot of stuff by folks like Iry LeJeune, DL Menard, Steve Riley, Nathan Abshire, Amede Ardoin, The Balfa Brothers, The Savoy FamilyBand, Joe Bonsall and Harry Choates. Also, love the Zydeco sound of Clifton Chenier, Boozoo Chavis, Buckwheat Zydeco, and artists in that vein. In my construction days many years ago, I used to paint half a dozen crude oil tanks in Lake Charles every year, and the radio stayed glued to the Cajun channels. Then I saw DL Menard, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, Boozoo Chavis, and Clifton Chenier while I was there, and it ingrained a love of Cajun music that never let go of me.
My favorite Zachary Richard tune:

Very cool, I know a lotta the guys in that list!

Here's a cool link for you if you don't have it already. The "Listen Live" feed from KBON-FM, 101.1, in Eunice, the unofficial county seat of the Cajun prairie haha.

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/KBON

You don't hear it too often now but ... when I first started listening to this station, you could tell the DJs were reading local advertising buys/messages for the local grocery, the local hardware store, the local meat and seafood markets, etc., off hand-held cue cards. I saw examples of the cards touring the station once - they were common white index cards, typed out with an old school IBM typewriter by the station's secretary.

During ad breaks, the DJ would read the card, then barely audible, you could hear the DJ flip the card and then read the exact same ad again ... in Cajun French.

I’ve seen (and met) Sonny a few times - he’s been my favorite slide player since ‘89...just unreal.

Couldn’t be a nicer, sweeter guy in person either.  Here’s a shot from a few years ago when we opened for him - he played the Strat with the Tele bridge the whole set.  My jaw was still on the floor after he finished and was pouring the wine.

B9DC01CD-71B5-41EA-9817-983F2468797E.jpeg

Archived