Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD Hamer Phantom with Images.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You could start the process of selling them off.  Oh, wait.  That would be another project.  :unsure:

I've listed several here (well over a dozen, all top quality stuff)...some have moved along, some don't even get much beyond tire-kicking!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to plug it in and hear it. The Bridge Bucker is very close in tone to the DImarzio Transition Pickup, it has a bit of compression going on which is a good match for the Sustainblock. The single coil in the bridge is like halfway between a strat and a tele, darker than a strat, but not as much balls as a tele. The neck single sounds great in this guitar, and paired with the humbucker it is a very usable sound. I am pretty surprised that the guitar is on the darker side tone wise. Everything is back to the way it should be, the pots need another round of cleaning. Its plays great, my local guy here did a great fret job and setup on it. 

I'm just happy to have saved it from the scrap heap. 

Just returned from jamming a bit. Man I took a screw driver with me and between songs I would tweak the pickups I finally got it dialed in. I dropped the bridge pickups down 2.5 turns and the lows got tighter and the highs came back around, the single got brighter, tighter and snappier. I also went around 1.5 on the neck pickup and with the adjustments the guitar really opened up a lot. Sounds more like it does unplugged, now we are talking, I knew it was almost there, I can't wait for rehearsal Wednesday. 

On August 12, 2018 at 8:45 PM, JimHalinda said:

Hmm, I know it’s not quite the same, but I think I’m going to have to pull my Phantom Custom out for some love ... if it had a 25.5 inch scale (my preference) it would be perfect!

Maybe, maybe not, you would never know until you have it in your hands. 

I used the Phantom this afternoon at rehearsal. LOVE IT! I have used Tele's and Juniors in the band and this one just nails it. Single coil bridge tones for some of the funky,pop and capo'ed song part, then I can engage the bucker for slide, then go to that great Straty neck tones. The neck is super comfortable and the guitar just melts into you. 

Archived