Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Vinnie Paul, age 54

cynic

Vinnie Paul grew up listening to the same music as most of us here on the board then he came up with his own musical direction. 

I saw Pantera.  I saw Hellyeah.  I saw Vinnie Paul, Dimebag, and Rex play on stage with Ace Frehley.    Vinnie Paul rock and rolled me a few times.

I was lucky enough to catch Pantera back in the day and saw Damage Plan a few months before Dime got shot.  A local band named Lambotomy opened for them, and Dime and crew brought them all back out for the encore and played a bunch of Pantera songs with them.  I kinda knew Lambotomy, and they were just floored to have the chance. 

I won't pretend to like everything Vinnie did after Dime passed, but those guys truly did love rock 'n' roll.  And Far Beyond Driven was a balls-out metal album at a time when everyone was going radio friendly or grunge.  I guess somewhat ironically, given the fact that extreme metal was thought dead by 94, it's probably the heaviest album to ever hit No. 1 on Billboard, a rare example of a band getting heavier in that decade and actually doing better business.  

I never knew those guys personally, but I had lots of friends over the years who had run ins with them via their father, Jerry Abbott.  By all accounts, they were just like the rest of us who grew up on rock and loved it.  Tragedy that such a light-hearted bunch of dudes that got off on Kiss and practical jokes finished their story like this. 

Met him in passing at a Dean gathering but I was so busy I only got a handshake and a "Hey Gene" from someone before I had to leave the area he was being mobbed in.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my best friends, Steff Granstrom, took this of Vinne, not long before Dimebag got killed I think. A very fine portrait of Vinnie.

vinnie Paul foto Steff Granstrom.JPG

Archived